Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wheres the best spot for the Votmeter to be hooked..Battery? Thats my guess but the instructions say at the Batt term on the alternator.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

BTW..I love my alternator...:cheeky1:Working like it was meant to be...

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I'd hook it to the battery as that's what you want to measure volts from. I always though an amp meter was supposed to be hooked to the alternator, but I'm probably wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

zonk3939 wrote:
Wheres the best spot for the Votmeter to be hooked..Battery? Thats my guess but the instructions say at the Batt term on the alternator.
Zonk, the absolute best place is right at the battery posts but that also requires an ignition powered relay to be installed to disconnect the voltmeter when the ignition is off, or your battery will run down in a day or so.

If you don't want to to go to all the trouble of installing a relay you can hook to the (+) & (-) screws on the fuse box, then before hooking the wires up permanently just wire the voltmeter to the battery for a test ride to see what actual battery voltage is, then switch the wires over to the fuse box screws & see what it is there. Once you know the difference you can get pretty close to actual battery voltage by adding the slight difference to the reading taken from the fuse box screws. By hooking to the fuse box the meter shuts off with the ign switch.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

/forums/images/emoticons/smile.gif a voltmeter should be on a switched relay to keep your battery from running down... AND ...  on a large gauge fused  wire .. right to the battery positive to give you the closest reading...and as Zonk points out.. what a hassle!!!/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif... If you own a 1200.. with an installed EC harness... you have almost everything you need already.. The EC harness uses TWO large gauge wires to power the coils.. they are fused/forums/images/emoticons/wink.gif... and relayed at the rect/ reg to only turn on only  when the key is on... I tapped the voltmeter into  the output  of this  Electrical Connection relay... (voltmeters draw almost no current )... and it is only  .1 volt different from the "Actual " battery  voltage.. /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif Works for me  SilverDave

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks again,guys..I`ll keep you informed as to how the newest project goes..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You really don't need a large gauge wire to a voltmeter, the resistance of a voltmeter depend on it's sensitivity but it will be several thousand ohms at least so the current drawn by the meter is very low so wire loss is negligible. The simplest way to hook up the meter is to wire it to any terminal that is switched on with the key, such as the fuse box as Twisty suggested. If you measure the voltage across directly across the battery with the meter you are installing with the bike ignition turned on but not running, then again when you have it wired to the fuse box, any difference should be noticed. It probably will be a very small difference if any. You can to it while riding the bike as Twisty mentioned, but I doubt you'll see a very significant difference.

The thing to remember about a volt meter is that the exact reading isn't particularly important. What is important is any change from normal reading whatever your normal reading is. As for adding a relay, I try to avoid them whenever possible. If I can get satisfactory operation without adding the additional complication that's the way I would go. There is a good argument for a relay when adding a high current drawing accessory, but not really for low current devices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.