Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You really don't need a large gauge wire to a voltmeter, the resistance of a voltmeter depend on it's sensitivity but it will be several thousand ohms at least so the current drawn by the meter is very low so wire loss is negligible. The simplest way to hook up the meter is to wire it to any terminal that is switched on with the key, such as the fuse box as Twisty suggested. If you measure the voltage across directly across the battery with the meter you are installing with the bike ignition turned on but not running, then again when you have it wired to the fuse box, any difference should be noticed. It probably will be a very small difference if any. You can to it while riding the bike as Twisty mentioned, but I doubt you'll see a very significant difference.

The thing to remember about a volt meter is that the exact reading isn't particularly important. What is important is any change from normal reading whatever your normal reading is. As for adding a relay, I try to avoid them whenever possible. If I can get satisfactory operation without adding the additional complication that's the way I would go. There is a good argument for a relay when adding a high current drawing accessory, but not really for low current devices.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.