Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

on 84 aspy, voltmeter:baffled:can or should i run directly off battery, relay or any items needed,just completed3 yellow wire, relay fix, wow what an informative, useful site, you can learn more here than any manual produced, Thank you all

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I would connect the voltmeter to one of the screw terminals on the fuse block.

I'm talking about the one that's located in the "fake gas tank" area - underneath the tool tray and above the air filter.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

Hello,

the voltmeter can be connected to the auxiliary screws, situated at the top of the fuse box, it means it will turn off, when the ignition is turned off too.

You can go the relay route if you wish, and connect it directly to the battery, but it really isn't required, the difference in accuracy, between connecting to the battery, or the auxillary screws, as a very clever forum user worked out is 0.2 volts or less than one quarter of a volt.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
Hello,

the voltmeter can be connected to the auxiliary screws, situated at the top of the fuse box, it means it will turn off, when the ignition is turned off too.

You can go the relay route if you wish, and connect it directly to the battery, but it really isn't required, the difference in accuracy, between connecting to the battery, or the auxillary screws, as a very clever forum user worked out is 0.2 volts or less than one quarter of a volt.

good luck,
Yes only .2 v the difference being piece of mind when at idle showing 12.1 rather than 11.9
If you see 11.9 at the volt meter remember it is 12.1 at the battery :)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank all for response, Sold road king and bought this wing. have ridden several times. just obtaining a little more peace of mind. I truly love this bike and look to enjoying it for a long time as well as this site. again thank you all for info on install, have repaired three wires as well as the relay area. good multimeter readings, meantime ride safe, Brett

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

to get a true reading, you should wire it directly to the battery, wired with a relay. thats my setup. the relay is connected to the accesory screws on the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I just found the nearest hot and ground wires and hooked them up. Works fine.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I probably should get a volt meter since i still have the stock alternator. I probably should go ahead and replace with compufire for piece of mind but hard to part with $400. I was looking at the volt meter that Cyclemax has. Any suggestions on where or how to mount?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
imported post

tomusa wrote:
I probably should get a volt meter since i still have the stock alternator. I probably should go ahead and replace with compufire for piece of mind but hard to part with $400. I was looking at the volt meter that Cyclemax has. Any suggestions on where or how to mount?
If it's the multi-function volt meter from Cyclemax, I mounted mine above the radio. I'll take a picture tonight when I getto the houseand postit here.I made a bracket and mounted it to the key cover. I ran the wires directly to the battery. I probably should put in a relay because it's always on the way I wired it.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I guess alternators differ when going out i just read that one went out within one hour after voltage started falling and another didn't last that long. Never know when you might be stranded. Of course that is with any vehicle.

With the cost of motorcycles as they are they should not require more often maintance than any other vehicle. If my cages required that much i probably would be walking. Just my opnion.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
imported post

Bashful wrote:
tomusa wrote:
If it's the multi-function volt meter from Cyclemax, I mounted mine above the radio. I'll take a picture tonight when I getto the houseand postit here.I made a bracket and mounted it to the key cover. I ran the wires directly to the battery. I probably should put in a relay because it's always on the way I wired it.
Here's the picture of where mine is located.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

After I changed the stator on my 1100 I added a volt meter that I got at a boat store that sells Honda outboards. I wired it into the aux terminal on the fuse block.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Thanks guys for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Great pics, when I finish by this weekend will post pics also. I am just relieved at results of multimeter readings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.