Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HELP I JUST INSTALLED A POORBOY KIT. JOB WENT WELL. GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU POORBOY. PROBLEM I INSTALLED A VOITMETER GAGE TO KEEP A TAB ON WHAT MY ALTERNATOR IS DOING. HERE'S WHAT IT READS. RUNNING AT IDLE IT SHOWS ABOUT 10 VOLTS. RAISE THE ENGINE SPEED IT GOES UP TO 12 VOLTS. HOLDS THERE GOOD. LET SPEED BACK DOWN TO IDLE AND IT SHOWS 10 VOLTS . I HOOK POS. WIRE AS INSTRUCTIONS STATE WITH GAUGE. I HOOKED TO THE FUSE BLOCK. GROUND WIRE TO AIR FIULTER STUD,UNDER WING NUT. IT NEVER RISES ABOVE 12 VOLTS AT ANY TIME. ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM. THANKS HOGHIDEMAN

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

What alternator did you use with the kit?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

What's the age of your battery? If you put it on a battery charger for 24hrs, then disconnect it, what does the battery voltage indicate?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

hoghideman wrote:
HI, MY BATTERY IS ALMOST NEW. IT WAS FULLY CHARGED.
Something fishy with your volt readings..

a fully charged battery will be well above 12 volts (about 12.6).. and even a fully charged battery will show greater than 10 volts when cranking (usually about 10.5)...

I'd make sure that the battery is good (could be a shorted cell?) then see what the voltages were...

[PS: locking caps onis considered SHOUTING.. might consider "tone-ing it down" a little:waving:]

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Me too, have the alternator tested at an auto parts shop, they will do it free.

It should read 14 at least unless you have are running more lights than it can provide energy for.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

thessler wrote:
Are you sure it's a good alternator ? Thats where I would be looking.
could be.. but a shorted cell will overload the alternator and pull the voltage down below spec.. which was my reasoning.. and 10 volts at idle is pretty low for a good battery even if not charging at all... Jim

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What I am reading is you have been looking at the new voltmeter only. ??? Check things with a meter before you make any decisions, could very possibly be the voltmeter.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

you should have readings of 14 + volts at arount 1500rpm, and at idle around 13 volts, it sounds like its not wired right, assuming that you know the alternator was working correctly before you installed, have you wired it for one wire hook up, at the back of the alternator you have three spades where you plug the car harness to, have you connected any of these wires, one of the spades is not used, here is a simple diagram i made earlier, instead of the ignition warning lamp, you can wire a volt meter insitu

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

A battery is made up of 6 cells, each cell makes 2.2V so the nominal voltage is actually 13.4V when your vehicle battery is low it can drop to around 12V and when fully charged and going along it may read up to nearly 14V.

I am with Kit on this, check the battery at source with a proper electrical meter and see what you get, if this reads ok then it may be the meter you have bought. The best connection for a volt meter is at the battery itself as the further away from that you get volt drops.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Try another voltmeter or verify your meter on another battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.