Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Has anyone used the plug in Voltmeter on their Acc. plug? Saw one on ebay. Turns on with bike and off with bike.
I think I need one to monitor power. I have about 25,000 miles and I want to watch for alternator failure. Maybe I should go ahead and change it out. Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks all. I love this site....;)

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Never used one of those.
A Member on here (Rudy) has a device that will do what you what you want and more. Check out his site!

http://smartlight.rudysproducts.com/

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

To test the 3 output coils need 3 voltmeters or a single VAC, and a switch to put the meter across each coil set, better yet test your DC at the battery, this way you test the alternator, the 3 sets of coils, the regulator and the diodes at the same time.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Has anyone used the plug in Voltmeter on their Acc. plug? Saw one on ebay. Turns on with bike and off with bike.
I think I need one to monitor power. I have about 25,000 miles and I want to watch for alternator failure. Maybe I should go ahead and change it out. Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks all. I love this site....;)
Why not just install a "real" volt guage? Best mod ever. Usually only 2 or 3 wires, you can hook the positive to any ignition "hot" wire on the bike......and ground the negative. If it's a 3-wire (for a light), hook up the 3rd to the same as the positive. Lot's of folks hook 'em up to the accessory block on their fuse box. Or you can crimp a female blade connector on the positive and clip it to one of the fuses. You can even wire it directly to your battery if you want (add an inline fuse).

You can get a decent guage at any auto shop for as little as 10 bucks. A really nice one for 30 bucks.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Harbor Freight sells a decent lighted 2 1/2 inch volt meter for under 4 bucks.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

I use a device from Argus Industries called a Battery Bug, model BB-SBM12PS, designed for power sports (NOT the model designed for automobiles!). It can be had from Amazon.com or other places. It monitors your battery at crank time and tells you the remaining percent of cranking power left in your battery. It also functions as a voltmeter, and provides audible alarms when things are not right. See a description of it at http://www.argusanalyzers.com/battery-monitors/products/bb-sbm12.html . Cost around $55. Great accessory.

·
Premium Member
68,556 Posts
imported post

I have my volt meter hooked to the Acc on my bike.. Works fine.. I have a 6 to 7 10st volt lose going that way.. So when my reading is 13.45 I add .6 for 14.05.. The 10st do jump around a little but they do the same at the battery..

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

IMO, there is little need to be concerned about 25,000 miles on your alternator, unless you are getting indications that it is not charging. My previous 1500 went 162,000 miles before the brushes wore out. After replacing them, the alternator lasted another 45,000 before the bearings wore out.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I use one I purchased at Advance Auto Parts. It Plugs into your cigarette lighter, and workslike a charm. It also comes with a plugin socket that you can connect directly to your battery. If you want, I can get a pic of it.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I just installed a Harbor Frieght gauge on my '82 wing last night. It's doesn't look to be as precise as that digital gauge, it has a 12v reading then a line about 3/4 of the way to 16v. At rpms over 1k it heads to the 14volt mark. looks good.,,

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

jmcannonball wrote:
IMO, there is little need to be concerned about 25,000 miles on your alternator, unless you are getting indications that it is not charging. My previous 1500 went 162,000 miles before the brushes wore out. After replacing them, the alternator lasted another 45,000 before the bearings wore out.
For most GL1500's I would agree, however he has a 1998 GL1500. There were many alternator failures on the 1997 - 2000 Gold Wing's due to "poor quality" alternators from China. The rotors failed on many of them anywhere from around 25,000 to 50,000 miles.

Due to the known alternator problems, I would strongly suggest installing a volt meter to monitor the charging system.

I have personally know of many alternators that failed with bad rotor windings and or connector problems.

I know one 2000 Gold Wing that went through 3 alternators before it had 50,000 miles. The replacement alternators were just as bad as the original ones.

Not all of them failed but a significant number of them did fail.

I have an Amp-U-Tron volt/amp meter on my 1999 Gold Wing. However, they are no longer manufactured, not due to quality, due to cost. There were kinda pricey and didn't sell too well.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

I have decided on the Battery Bug BB-SBM12-ps. Ordered it from Amazon with shipping for 55. I think it will work just fine . Thanks 2up.

I have a buddy that had his Alternator go out at around 40,000 miles in Big Bend. He was lucky and found a guy out of Alpine, Tx that rebuilt it. I don't want that to happen to me. Am thinking about getting a spare alternator just to carry in the bike.

Thank you all for your help.:action:Ride Safe and enjoy the trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.