Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a new GL1800 and, at 58, my hearing isn't as good as it used to be. The dealer installed the standard J&M headsets in our helmets. The speakers pressed my ears in and the audio was terrible. The dealer then installed the thin speakers in the helmets ($40 each...). I could here them better, but at highway speeds, the audio quality was still terrible and if I turned the volume up enough to hear it, my wife, who has the regular "fat" J&M speakers and normal hearing, found it intolerably loud. The dealer then sold me the J&M volume control for another $150. I installed it (the Kuryakin arm rests interfere with their original designed installation location) and the kit included an "attenuator." You disconnect the rider's audio cord from the harness and insert the attenuator and then plug the audio cord into the other side of the attenuator. While the volume control helped, even with the volume control turned down to its minimum, the volume was still too loud for my wife. So I took the attenuator out. The volume seemed a little louder for me, but my wife still complained that I had the volume too high. So I put the attenuator in her audio cord, and it seemed to make no significant difference for her.

The audio through the outside speakers at a volume level of 8-10 is plenty loud, at idle, but with a full face helmet, it can't be heard well at highway speeds, thus the headsets. In order to hear a similar loudness with the headset, I need to turn the volume way up, at 14-16 at idle or slow speed, and at highway speeds at least 18 for "recognizable" music and 22 for speach. The wind noise is amplified by the hearing aids, so I take them out while riding. I have decent hearing on the left, poor on the right. Without the hearing aids, I'm not expecting great hearing on the right. I'm assuming that the stereo system is working correctly and that my hearing is the problem.

I assume the attenuator is set of fixed resistors to each headset speaker. I would prefer not to experiment by cutting different headset wires to see which wires go to the speakers. Has anyone played with the audio wiring to insert additional resistors when the J&M volume control is not enough or found a better solution? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Jay50,

I had a similar imbalance on the system on my 1500, not caused by loss of hearing I would add, just the way the sysem was and possibly more caused by the location of the speakers in the helmet, where my passengers helmet meant that the speakers weren't so directly over her ears as mine were. The net result was that she needed the volume up higher tan I did.

I resolved the issue, by adding a simple in line volume controller, just one of those at about $20-30. In our situation I put it on my cords since it was me who wanted to turn the volume down.

Perhaps before you get involved in major modifications, or expensive add ons, you might try one of these simple passenger controllers, so you riding partner can turn her volume down, allowing you to have the system on the bike turned quite high?

Hope this may help.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

This is what you want available from www.cyclemaxohio.com for $47. Allows the pillion to independantly control their own volume of both the headsets and mic. I have one and it does what it says for not a lot of money. No fitting as it just plugs into your existing lead.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Just to say Hi.

The device Little John has shown you in the photo is exactly what you need. Works well.

Kit

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
This is what you want available from http://www.cyclemaxohio.com for $47. Allows the pillion to independantly control their own volume of both the headsets and mic. I have one and it does what it says for not a lot of money. No fitting as it just plugs into your existing lead.

What I like about this unit? In the description they state it works with all systems that use the 5-pin standard setup. This means it'll work with all the Hondaline audio systems, even the Clarion 1 and 2 systems. May order 1 for us as I need the volume louder than my wife does also.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Wow! You guys are great. I just placed an order for the volume control. Thanks so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.