Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Goldwing 1800 came with a Voyager trike kit but I have not installed it. I watched the youtube video and it looks very easy to install and remove but I'm just not sure I will use it.. Anyone have opinions? Anyone looking for a nice trike kit?

Attachments

·
Trike Master
1,227 Posts
Without a rake kit, the bike will be very hard to "steer" in corners. Also, although most everyone calls these units "trike kits", they are not!!! They are outrigger kits as you still maintain the OEM rear assembly. Unless properly set up, as in preload, the ride can be very disappointing.
Others will disagrre and say they love their unit.
Which means, try it and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
What I've seen of them is ...
… If set up loose, they will not let you lean into a turn, they do not keep you up straight either, so in a hard turn or evasive action the rider is leaning out of the turn just hanging on with very heavy steering.
… If set up tight the rear drive wheel is deprived of traction which affects braking. If on uneven surfaces, bike may need a push to go as well.
… due to the real world there is no "just right" set up.

I would much rather use a outrigger that drops or picks up wheels that only comes into play at stop signs, parked, etc or go via 4 wheeler.

·
Administrator
58,426 Posts
I have a set of outrigger wheels for the 1800, hanging up in Lopeha's garage over in Arkansas.
Doubt that I ever install them though, because when I get to where I can't hold the bike up, I will just give it to my son.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Those in the photo above would raise way up beside the saddle bags, my buddy loved riding, loved curves, just used the landing gear to land, unless it was a slanting surface of great degree. I let him lead some, he would fly, even the landing gear inside tire looked like it was gonna touch down at times that day in West Virginia. It was one of the few times he led, he preferred to follow he would say. Later he had that same wing converted to a Champion Trike, rode it a couple or three years.

The first time I saw this landing gear, the wheels & tires were naked. The skirts he suggested to the company, they sent him a set after development, he installed them after paint. Looked great but made bike wider. They had a linkage set up where the skirts rotated on the spindle mounts so the skirts stayed level as the wheels raised or lowered. We were chatting at a restaurant once, I suggested clearance or marker lights for the skirts …. I recall he was thinking green or red, I told him amber to the front, red to rear LEDs. If he put them on, it was just before he triked it.

Norb's been gone now 10 or more years. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts