Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I really like the ideas, and I like the design.

I'm with it right up to the point that a paramedic has to scan a QR code and find a screwdriver. You lost me there.

Give this a much more intuitive release-system for a first-responder, and you've got me back.

As always, thanks for the cool find!

·
Administrator
57,952 Posts
1st responders are not going to know how to get that thing off, unless they make a point of having classes on each and every "NEW HELMET" on the market...

2nd big problem, the sunshade is permanent once you start riding.... with my Shoei Neotec, I just touch a button and the sunshade slides up out of the way when I don't need it.

3rd big problem, no mention of room for EdSet's Thunderclap speakers. Which I have to have so that I can communicate with the world. Normal headset speakers are so puny, they are worthless for me.

that QR code? pointless, unless you have a data connection, it isn't going to work. and all 1st responders do not carry smartphones.... they carry 2-way radios and pagers. The smartphone is back in the truck or the station. That is where I saw most of them when I worked for the fire department.

it will not ever make it to the Big Time... they will sell a few, but mostly to folks who don't ever look at their bank balance.

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Interesting video. Always nice to see manufacturers trying to innovate new designs. Agree that an EMT wont know what to do with this helmet and isn't going to take the time to grab there smartphone to download instructions. My Arai has emergency quick release cheekpads. All you have to do is pull on the orange release tabs and the cheekpads pop right out making helmet removal safe and easy. But I doubt any EMT would understand that unless they were a biker who knows a little bit about helmets. The release mechanism is a concern too. Modulars have been known to open after receiving an impact but the helmet is still strapped to your head giving you protection.

·
Administrator
24,654 Posts
It is good someone came up with a new innovative design but it is not really well thought out for reasons already mentioned.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
a helmet design with a great feature is ReeVu. It uses a periscope type reflection principle to bring a 3 + lane wide view of whats behind you into a display bar/mirror- which is adjusted to the top/INSIDE of the helmets eye port
Use it like a car interior rear mirror!
Look UP - SEE BEHIND :) !
Original design was by a dad, his son was injured in bicycle crash when he looked over shoulder to ck traffic

The other thing on my wish list is the vest/jacket with air chambers inside- if you get off the bike fast enough ie: unintentional separation of your seat to its seat~
A tether to the bars pulls and activates the airbag. In less than .5 of 1 second its squeezing the bajeebies out of your chest and rear/side internal organs!!!!
protecting them from the ensuing bounce and roll. The unit begins to slowly deflate after a few seconds. Testing and real life crashes show its enough time for the body to stop rolling and impacting, then allow you to get a breath or two in.
There are a few makers now- the concept has proven itself!!

Original design was for training horse jumpers/competition riders- rodeo riders- basically people who take a spill from 10 feet off the ground while going 20 mph..
on a routine basis. Another concerned father design in action!

·
Administrator
57,952 Posts
a helmet design with a great feature is ReeVu. It uses a periscope type reflection principle to bring a 3 + lane wide view of whats behind you into a display bar/mirror- which is adjusted to the top/INSIDE of the helmets eye port
Use it like a car interior rear mirror!
Look UP - SEE BEHIND :) !

Unfortunately, that requires very young eyes...

us seniors cannot see and focus on anything closer than 100 feet in front of us. :crying2:

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Those vests are interesting. Maybe they will become more mainstream. Things like the Skully helmet are interesting but I wouldn't buy one. But maybe they will hit on something good that will become popular and added to all helmets. Also like the armor and fabrics making there way into jackets, pants and gloves. Like the 3DO armor that is soft and squishy until it has an impact then becomes rigid. Or the superfabrics that are much more abrasion resistant than leather.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
John re: mirror in helmet- the viewer is adjustable fore and aft as well as angle- the result allows many with vision issues to use the device- more than you would think!
A tiny adjustment inches from your eyes works!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
John re: mirror in helmet- the viewer is adjustable fore and aft as well as angle- the result allows many with vision issues to use the device- more than you would think!
A tiny adjustment inches from your eyes works!
That be true.
With a mirror the focal distance is the sum of the distance from your eye to the mirror and from the mirror to the object.
So if you can see something 100' ahead of you then you can see something 100' behind you using a mirror close to your eye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.