Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone have a vtx 1300 or 1800 that they own or have owned in the past? Was thinking about purchasing one. But my first choice is th gl 1500. I guess that would be apples and oranges. All thoughts will be appreciated as usual!!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

On my last visit to Station Park Honda in Louisville they had a new VTX1800 back in the sevice bay they were detailing for its new owner, it had Vance & Hines pipes on it and when they fired it up it sounded meaner than any Harley Ive heard.
My suggestion is to ride both bikes before you make a decision and find out which one suites your riding style better.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I ride a 1500 Aspencade and my bud rides a VTX1800 and we switch now and then.

This is my 4th Goldwing so I have some experience with them. I also have had around 50 bikes in the over 40 years I have been riding. Along with 4 nice Harley's and a couple of beater Harley's.

In my honest Opinion The VTX is the Smoothest, Strongest, Twin I have EVER had the pleasure to straddle. But it always feels like you want another gear when Traveling.

You have to power to pull hills or pass without downshifting.

Matter of Fact the Bike is So strong that if you are not hanging on tight and Nail the throttle the bike will leave you behind.

But you cant beat the comfort of the Wing.

You need to ride em both and make your own assessment.

I would own a VTX in a heartbeat if it wasn't such a Harley Clone.

That part of all these wanna be bike that bug me. I think the bikes are aewsome but hate that they gotta make em look like a Harley.

Just me.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

i use to have a 1300 but i thought i would give up riding in 06 i was wrong i missed it too much and bought a old wing cheap . the 1300 is a nice bike i had mine setup to and it was a comfortable ride . the other bike hurt my back every now and then .

1 of U

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I own a 2004 VTX 1800 and a 1994 GL 1500. The VTX is one bad a$$ machine. Gobs of power and torque. As said before, if you're not holding on when you twist it, it will leave you behind. It does seem like it needs another gear but some guys have gotten around that by installing a 1300 final drive. Direct swap from what I understand. The GL is really smooth and also has plenty of power. I don't ride the VTX much any more as I have some medical problems that makes it kinda uncomfortable for me. That's why I bought the Goldwing, I'm not ready to give up riding just yet. Best for you to ride both before you make up your mind. Thay're both great bikes. Good luck.:action:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

I ride a gl1500 and my wife rides a vtx1800. We do alot of long distance riding. As others have said the the vtx is one bad ass. It WILL roast the back tire effortlessly. Havent noticed the need for another gear as others have indicated but then 80/85 mph. is about as fast as we travel. After three or four hours she will switch over and ride the wing for a bit so she can stretch out in the big easy chair seat ,turn up the tunes , and relax a bit. doesnt take long and she's ready for her vtx back. The vtx is by no means uncomfortable , but the wing is definetly a luxo cruise. Like you said apples and oranges. You really CANT go wrong with either. Best of all they both say HONDA on the side.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I rode a new VTX1300 for about a year and put roughly 6500 miles on it. It's a really nice cruiser as is the VTX1800 but no touring machine, though I do see many out there all loaded down.

The GL1800 is a touring bike right out of the box. Wire up a helmet and go. My first year I put almost 18,000miles on it. Florida to Michigan twice with one quick stop in NC each way, each time. Quiet, smooth, and forgiving. :D

Added a Zumo 550, large drink cup and lights including modulated rears. (This bike has brakes)Going up to Michigan again through Oxford Miss, Ark, St. Louis, Chicago, Green Bay and points in betweenJuly19th. :action:

Apples and oranges, yes sir. How about night and day too. It all boils down to what kind of riding you want to do. Get both and be done with it. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Longboater, :waving:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

I have a 2005 vtx 1800 and I love it.Right at 53000 miles and running like new or better.I just bought a 77gl1000 goldwing I,m stripping down.i love my vtx and cant waite to ride my naked wing when i,m done redoing it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

A coworker of mine has a VTX. Red w/ghost flames. Great looking bike. Have to agree with everyone. Both are great just depends on the riding you want to do. Trips=Goldwing. Just crusing=VTX

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I have a 1997 gl1500se and a 2002 vtx1800c. For long trips or 2 up, the goldwing is the bike to ride. For around town or short trips, the vtx is the best bike. Besides power, the vtx is rock solid at high speed, has a very low center of gravity for great turn performance, and is very reliable. My 02 vtx has had oil/filter changes, battery replaced, tires replaced and rear brake pads in 23000 miles. When I ride in Florida, I am concerned about getting rear ended on the vtx. So, I added some extra lights to make it more visible from the back.

If I could only have one bike, it would be the goldwing, so I can still take longer road trips. It can be ridden around town -- it is just a bit big.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I used to have an 07 VTX 1300R and i traded it for an 02 Goldwing w/trailer. I had the VTX all dressed out and loved it, but it just does not compare to the Goldwing. Igot about 42 mpg. I only had one complaint and that was from my passenger. She said the seat sucked. Needless to say i put all new seats to her liking on it. The VTX is a very good bike and i would still have it, if i hadn't come across the Goldwing with all the options.:clapper:

Brian

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

A few years back I had a 1300. Even after a custom seat and pegs etc. I could not get comfy on the hiway. It was great around town, but my wife's 1500 beat it hands down. Finally sold it. There is really no comparing the VTX and Wing IMO.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.