Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

About 30 seconds after starting, both pipes start shooting out mostly odorless white smoke. After a minute, it has a good cloud formed. I took it on a run down the freeway to see if it would burn off, and it never did. Haven't ridden it since.

The radiator was low, so I assumed it was burning coolant and replaced the head gaskets. After screwing up and fixing it all, I still have the same problem. I did find a considerable amount of the water-oil white goo on the heads when I was in there.

I'm contemplating removing the exhaust and starting it to see which head it is coming from. But I'm sure my neighbors would hate me. :) I do live in a rainy area and the bike sits outside.

I've seen a lot of posts on here about small amounts of smoke that clear up, but I'm having trouble thinking of where to go next. I appreciate your advice.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on my 83 1100 Aspencade on the left side. I put in another head gasket. The old was blown. I replaced a blown head gasket. Check the core plugs under both camshafts, undo them, and put some permatex in and on the threads, and reinstall them, at 43ft lbs torque. (I may have to do this.) If that does not help, I would change all of the washers/gaskets in my water pump. One of these will fix the problem. I suspect the water pump, since it's on both sides.
My core plugs looked ok, but looks do not count here.
I had to pull my camshout out last nite, Sat 15th, 09, because I put the short bolt into the top Center of the camshaft, and broke it off into the head. I had my belts on, and timing correct. I had to undo my tensioners, pull the beltt off by hand, then remobe the heat shield, and then the canshaft, revealing the core plugs. I guess I am going to Autozone annd get me some permatex to re-do them just as a precaution. Many people overlook this. It is critical, since we have 30 yrar old cassics.
The manual 1st states the core plugs as the reimary for the oil contamination, and the head gasket as the second, on the Clymers manual. Beware though, the Clymer manual contradicts itself in several places, especially on the belts. First, it states 1 amd 3 are on the left side (Gearshift Side) but 1 and 3 are on the Right FUEL PUMP side. Thats one glitch I founf on my second GL1100. I cross checked it with my 1st wing, and it was all bachwards, but I purchased that one from my neighbor, who also purchased a Clymer Manual. Please excuse my typos. 3 hours sleep and getting up early makes it difficult to see.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

If it's just one cyclinder the spark plug will be exceptionally clean as it is being steam cleaned.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
If it's just one cyclinder the spark plug will be exceptionally clean as it is being steam cleaned.
Plus, If it's been doing it for a while, like 400+ miles, (you may) have a lot of oil/carbon build up on the exaust next to the bad (clean) one. I changed the oil 2 times after I founf my problem, and it winally blew completely as I was pulling it into my shop.
David

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

I cant offer much for the smoke . I did want to comment I like the looks of your Bobber in the avitar . I hope you solve the problem and get back to riding :action:

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

hi make sure the water pump is turning ok mine was doing the same thing re done the heads. core plugs ect turned out the pump had come a from its shaft.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I'm glad to hear you say that about Clymer and the cylinder numbers. A few years ago I stared at that for a while trying to wrap my head around why the numbers seemed wrong.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

It looks like the water pump was the problem. The bearings were shot. I replaced it and it is no longer smoking. Now for the other problems...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.