Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I bought some polish for metal at the az bike show.
I used it on the windshield facing and some other stuff. Worked great. The guy was from Colorado that had the booth. Wondering if any body knows what I'm talking about it made the dull aluminum look like highly polished chrome. Tried some other stuff but not getting the same results

84 goldwing I. Added factory radio cb intercom progressives front and rear ,fork brace,rebuilt brakes front and rear,just did head job,putting poor boy kit on,trailer hitch,Corbin seat e4s getting ready to go on.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Any kind of metal polish is going to do the same thing, some maybe better than others. The main ingredient is elbow grease. The valve and timing covers have a clear coating on them that has to be removed to polish the metal.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
927 Posts
Yep, remove the clear coat ( or what's left of it ) and start in with the elbow grease like Dave says- For Aluminum that is not pitted I start with 800 grit Wet/Dry sandpaper and keep it wet- sand until the entire part to be polished is all the same uniform dull gray when it's dried off. Then do it all again with 1000 grit or 1200 grit the more time and effort you put in the better the end result will be. after sanding with 1100 or 1200 you can start polishing with the polish of your choice. I use NeverDull - it's a cotton like wadding with a chemical in it and it works awesome!
On a side note: Power sanding and polishing tools work really well - just be sensible about what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
623 Posts
I have used Satin Gloss metal polish. Bought it a Honda Hoot years ago. Thought it might be snake oil, but it was great.
Not abrasive like some of the others. Used it the wheels of my 2004 and after the second time the wheels looked like chrome.A friend with a HD road Glide was going to have his triple tree chromed until I let him use this stuff. He ordered a case the next day. Was going to give it ot all his riding buddies, plus one for me
Not cheap but it goes a long way. Plus it's made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Lowes has one called Metal polish
Cheap and works good,
Use a shoe polish applicator

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
The trucker forums have gobs of hints on polishing metal :)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
Mother's polish works too well for me. Polishes the aluminum parts to look like chrome.
Can be bought just about anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,834 Posts
Me too on Mothers. Also works for scratches on paint. Follow up with a paste wax.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
38 Posts
I have had great luck with White Dimonds polish bringing aluminum to an almost chrome like finish.
A polishing ball or cone for your drill would work well also and save a lot of elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.yep I used that but bought the wheels from harbor freight with the red and white rouge cut the oxi off with the red and polished it with white then used the buffer wheel on the bench grinder to polish it up. Used never dull also to start the process.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used Satin Gloss metal polish. Bought it a Honda Hoot years ago. Thought it might be snake oil, but it was great.
Not abrasive like some of the others. Used it the wheels of my 2004 and after the second time the wheels looked like chrome.A friend with a HD road Glide was going to have his triple tree chromed until I let him use this stuff. He ordered a case the next day. Was going to give it ot all his riding buddies, plus one for me
Not cheap but it goes a long way. Plus it's made in the USA.
Satin gloss rings a bell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts