Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a long shot, but I gotta ask.

I'm switching radios and want to clean up the wiring. The po used those dang Scotch connectors on everything. I hate those things. They always fail sooner or later.

Anyway. I need the other end of this OEM connector pictured below. I never had a factory radio so I don't know if the plug would be on the amp or the radio.

I'm hoping someone has a junk system they tore out and wouldn't mind cutting off the plug.

I know I could cut mine off. But that just seems like sacrilege to cut up an otherwise perfect harness.

After looking on ebay I think the plug I need is on the radio cage.

But I'm wondering if color has to do with size. If not that opens up a lot of other areas to get a plug from.

I need the female end with the male part of the locking tab.

Here it is on the cage I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hi Quick Cal,

I would remove the Scotch connectors and seal the wire with liquid "shrink tubing." It should be available at auto parts stores or the motorcycle department at your local big box building supply.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is liquid heat shrink and liquid tape one in the same product.

I used liquid tape years ago and it just made a gooey mess.

But I just googled it and there was a reference haveing to let the liquid tape dry for 2 hours.

You guys know anything about this.

·
Administrator
57,377 Posts
Is liquid heat shrink and liquid tape one in the same product.

I used liquid tape years ago and it just made a gooey mess.

But I just googled it and there was a reference having to let the liquid tape dry for 2 hours.

You guys know anything about this.
If you apply it too thick it will almost never dry.
I use it thin, let that dry, and then add another coat or two depending on how much thickness you want.

I think that one coat at a minimum and then slide heat shrink tubing over the joint is the way to go. That totally prevents future corrosion.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Quick Cal ......

When I get something that has the "Scotchlock" treatment, I remove each connector in turn, clean the wire ends (while looking for signs of heat which might indicate too small of a wire or too much load), stripping some more insulation off if needed, do a proper splice, solder it (at that point, it is effectively "sealed"). If by chance they have several short wires of differing gages, etc ..... I'll replace a section with one wire.

All that's left is insulating it from possible shorting with tape (or maybe shrink tube if I was able to slip some in place which isn't always possible where a wire splices into a run).

We do have some brand new radio baskets with wiring harnesses. Give us a call and we can work up a price for you.
Those folks at Sierra Electronics in Troy, Ohio are simply "the best" IMHO.
Super to work with and great source from which to obtain the proper fix for just about anything MC audio related that you can think of I think.

Not affiliated in any way .... just one long time & several times "happy customer".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.