Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for a conversion kit to turn the reflectors of a 80-83 Hondaline fairing (Interstate fairing) into running or turn signal lights. OR - someone that has done this on their own with what materials they used.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

I'm looking for the same thing for an '85 1200 Interstate. Would like to convert to running lights with brake & turn.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Slap me if I give you the wrong information here but, JCWhitney has light conversation kits for what you are looking for as many other motorcycle supply houses..I'll bet someone else knows who and where to get what you are looking for....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

well I found a set of side marker lights from an 85 Honda civic that fit my 87 aspy.

Its the side markers on the side of my fairing. Looks like honda put them on at the factory, and no one can tell the diffrance. I did need to cut a small hole with a hole saw in the sidebehind the light so the holder for the bulb would fit . Looks good, can't tell any diffrance from any other aspy except mine lights up.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

redbaron wrote:
Slap me if I give you the wrong information here but, JCWhitney has light conversation kits for what you are looking for as many other motorcycle supply houses..I'll bet someone else knows who and where to get what you are looking for....

Claude....
:headbanger: Does help to do a little searching, doesn't it? Whitney has side marker lights http://www.jcwhitney.com/SIDE-MARKER-LIGHTS/GP_2003430_N_111+1975+200008236+600014762_10111.jcw in red or amber. Could have sworn I checked before. :rollingeyes:

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Think this is what you are looking for. The only marker lights I could find were for the GL 1200 and are not the same as the GL 1100.

I posted this November 3, 2007:

GL 1100 Side Reflectors

Edit note: Inside the saddlebags I extended the wire and ran them down and along the corner to the tail light under the saddlebags. You will need a small wire size hole into the saddlebag and then out above the tail light. The wiring inside the saddlebag, I covered with ABS cement and so far it is holding up well.
For the amber fairing lights,I connected to the front running light on each side....duh, found out that the marker light goes out when the turn signal is on for that side.I didn't know that before so you need find another place to get power for the amber fairing lights. Someday still gotta re do my amber lights.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
Gentlemen I think that what Isgyger is looking for is here.
http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=1724&categoryID=600
I'm sorry these are for the 1200 oops:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
Those are also for the saddlebags, and not the fairing....
So sorry. Didn't read the thread properly. Mind flash in an oppiste cycle to my signals but I have no idea how these are wired.:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wichita Scorpion wrote:
Think this is what you are looking for. The only marker lights I could find were for the GL 1200 and are not the same as the GL 1100.

GL 1100 Side Reflectors

Edit note: Inside the saddlebags I extended the wire and ran them down and along the corner to the tail light under the saddlebags. You will need a small wire size hole into the saddlebag and then out above the tail light. The wiring inside the saddlebag, I covered with ABS cement and so far it is holding up well.
For the amber fairing lights,I connected to the front running light on each side....duh, found out that the marker light goes out when the turn signal is on for that side.I didn't know that before so you need find another place to get power for the amber fairing lights. Someday still gotta re do my amber lights.
I may have "settled" for the usual 12v marker lights, like in Whitney. But these are exactly what I am looking for. I have a fair amount of this sized light on my bar around the bags, somewhere around 9 of them! The .050 amp draw would be a lot better on my poor '75's system than a typical 12v automotive bulb. Now I need to see how many I REALLY need on the whole bike. Bags, rail, trunk - Looks like I should buy some stock in the company! :D

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Wichita Scorpion wrote:

GL 1100 Side Reflectors

Kieth that is exactly how mine function as well and I like it. Kind of reminds me of one of the side markers on an 18wheeler. Lets traffic along side know that you are intending a turn in that direction. When signal is off, marker is lit.:action::action::action::action:
PS
Kieth, just for your & everybody elses info. Jim( LEDTech) has gone out of business with LEDNights. All you get on that link is some medical engine. Here are 12 others that I have dealt with with good service & product.
http://www.customdynamics.com/
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:waving:Angela, I get the same on LEDNights site. I have both the sites you listed and use the superbrightleds. I find it easy to use their site and I am very satisfied with their products and service.
I may just leave the fairing lights wired the way they are. Think they be OK either way.:D

:waving:Larry, get back with me if I can help in any way. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

zephyr2nv wrote:
Are these the ones you are looking for?

Add On Amber Marker lights

Not sure if they are still available or not. There is a link to find a dealer though.
Initially, yes, they were what I was looking for. But, Wichita Scorpion has turned me on to LED's - and they are the BOMB! I do appreciate the help - and the closest dealer for the lights you mentioned is just down the road 65 miles from me. Once I get the GL back on the road, just might go make a little trip! LED's can be a little pricey - dependng on how many I want to substitute for regular auto lights.

Larry

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

I'm actually messing with my side markers now too. I bought the same lights as Wichita is talking about in a conventional bulb setup. But they are too thick to use without serious modification to my fairing and saddlebags because I want them to mount almost flush and look stock. The surplus store where I bought them now has the LED version on sale, so I think I will pick some up and see if I can make them work.

My goal is to use the lens off the new lights and screw it directly to the curved plastic piece that the attaches to the fairing. I have mocked it up and the lens is the exact same size as the lip on the plastic piece. If I get them to work out I'll post some pics on here.

A bit of advice about LEDs: You get what you pay for. The cheap ones are not usually bright enough to be seen on a sunny day. Make sure you are getting really good ones for your brake lights and signals. They do look really cool though and they are very addictive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.