Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Y'all!:waving:

As some of you may know, my wife Keke has started a chapter of Women In The Wind, a national women's motorcycle club. Official Website

Keke and I are planning a trip to California, leaving June 23rd to attend her Women In The Wind national meeting in Reno on the 28th-30th. From there, we'll head into California and hopefully back along a different route. What's on your must-see list?

We'll be traveling along I-80 most of the way out, looking for some input. We have ridden to Nashville a few times, Columbus OH, and Laconia NH, so we aren't afraid of longer trips. We just haven't really gone anywhere that took more than 1 or 2 nights to do.

She rides her own 750 Shadow ACE (Windshield, saddle bags), and of course I have the 1500. How many miles a day should we be riding, considering that we will be on the road for 3 weeks?

Also, I'd like to camp some, but don't want to pull a trailer. Anyone do this, and what gear do you like to bring? I'd hate to drag a bunch of stuff that makes it harder to pack the bikes every day, just to camp a couple times. I also don't really want to drag a trailer to CA and back, if I don't have to. Your thoughts?

The return trip is up in the air a little. We will be leaving Reno on July 1st, heading through San Francisco, and I'm a little concerned about motel bookings. July 4th is a Wednesday this year, so I'm not sure if people will be traveling before or after the holiday... Any experienced advice?

We'd like to add a bunch of states to our "lower 48 ridden" list, I would welcome suggestions on routes, must-see sites, gear, preparation, etc.

Thanks in advance to the best forum in the world!

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Take cubic credit cards. Also have a stash of cash for things that cannot be done by credit cards.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Endwell_Tim wrote:
Hi Y'all!:waving:

As some of you may know, my wife Keke has started a chapter of Women In The Wind, a national women's motorcycle club. Official Website

Keke and I are planning a trip to California, leaving June 23rd to attend her Women In The Wind national meeting in Reno on the 28th-30th. From there, we'll head into California and hopefully back along a different route. What's on your must-see list?

We'll be traveling along I-80 most of the way out, looking for some input. We have ridden to Nashville a few times, Columbus OH, and Laconia NH, so we aren't afraid of longer trips. We just haven't really gone anywhere that took more than 1 or 2 nights to do.

She rides her own 750 Shadow ACE (Windshield, saddle bags), and of course I have the 1500. How many miles a day should we be riding, considering that we will be on the road for 3 weeks?

Also, I'd like to camp some, but don't want to pull a trailer. Anyone do this, and what gear do you like to bring? I'd hate to drag a bunch of stuff that makes it harder to pack the bikes every day, just to camp a couple times. I also don't really want to drag a trailer to CA and back, if I don't have to. Your thoughts?

The return trip is up in the air a little. We will be leaving Reno on July 1st, heading through San Francisco, and I'm a little concerned about motel bookings. July 4th is a Wednesday this year, so I'm not sure if people will be traveling before or after the holiday... Any experienced advice?

We'd like to add a bunch of states to our "lower 48 ridden" list, I would welcome suggestions on routes, must-see sites, gear, preparation, etc.

Thanks in advance to the best forum in the world!

I80 all the way out will make for a pretty darn boring/long ride!

I hope you and your wife have your 'butts' broke in, or it'll seem like a torture test. How many 400mi/day trips have you both taken? In order to get out there in time for the meeting (8 days riding), you'll have to average 327mi/day, taking the direct (and boring route) of I80

Any day you plan to camp, plan on using up at least an extra 2hrs a day to set up/break camp.

You might want to read this - http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1159862

When I go on tour, I always camp the whole way. For gear, think backpacking gear IE compact/lightweight (somewhat expensive) in order for it to fit on your bikes, without having to use a trailer to haul it all. You'd want a compact4 person tent, two sleeping bags, two air pads as a minimum set up for doing any camping. Take a look in the various forums on here under camping gear and you will get some idea.

While your wifeshould be able to pack her own clothes/riding gear and maybe her sleeping bag/pad on her bike, the rest will have to go on yours.

Can you get another week off for this trip? While 3 weeks may sound like a lot of time, with the distances involved, you'll be hard pressed with your wife's smaller bike to get out there and back in time, never mind doing any real 'sight seeing'! About the only scenic section of !80 before Reno, is coming in to SLC. An extra week would give you some 'options' for a more scenic' route(s)

I hate/very rarelytravelling along Interstates while on tour, much preferring the more scenic, unhurried 2 lane highways, but do realize that Interstates do serve their purpose for those in a hurry, with limited time

Dusty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Ya .... MotoCampers.Com is a pretty good spot to get some info on motocamping, but a lot of the members there tug a trailer.

How come you've got no posts over on MotoCampers, Redeye? :? Ya shouldn't be so ... shy! ;)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

get on highway 50 on the east end and ride it all the way to reno nev. or sacramento ca. walkabout :smiler::smiler:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I can't say much more then what Dusty has already posted. Your time frame doesn't allow for much of the "good" sight seeing. I've run I-80 coming home from Montrose Colorado. There wasn't anything alongI-80, like I had seen on the less traveled roads.

One good tip I can think of right now is. Call your credit card company and let them know you will be traveling. If they see charges being made in Wyoming,, they just might shut your card down to be on the safe side. I always call, and give the dates and where I'll be traveling through.

Keep posting on this,,,, and I'm sure you'll get your trip figured out before it's time to go ;)

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Your planning on making a 6,000 mile round trip in 23 days total. minus 3 days for the meeting minus 1 or 2 days in the San Francisco area. This leaves you just 18 days with no breaks to make the trip.

This is an average of about 350 miles per day with no breaks. If you take any breaks or you have to do any repairs the average goes up. Any problems with the bikes and your now looking at 400 + miles per day as an average. This means several 500 to 700 mile days.

No enjoyment, no breaks and no leaway in case anything goes wrong. Always plan in 1-2 extra days for every week of travel. This means a 3 week trip should actually be 4 weeks...so Dusty is absolutely correct. Make this a 4 week trip.

Just my 2cents.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

If I were making this trip, I would plan on 500 mile days. That is 10 hours in the saddle per day, or about 14 hours from motel to motel. Gives you 10 hours motel time. Do a couple of these, then take an easy day and camp,

I would be most concerned that your bikes are properly set up for 500 mile days. Even if you don't plan on 500 mile days, somehting could come up during the trip, causing a delay for a day or two. Then, you would be forced to go 500 per day, so what ever you do, practice a couple of these. Pick out a destination 500 miles awasy, and go out and back over a weekend.

As far as what to bring, half as many clothes and twice as much money.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
As far as what to bring, half as many clothes and twice as much money.
+1

Lay everything out on the front room floor, now put 1/2 of it away and pack the rest on the bikes.

If you need extra T shirts, socks or underwear on the way find a walmart, then throw away the old ones.

I usually take along easy to wash clothes that dry fast and just hand wash them and hang them up. Once a week we stop at a laundromat and wash everything else.

If you think you will need good dress clothes etc. for the meeting in Reno, send them UPS/fedex to the Hotel and ask them to hold them for you. When leaving to head back ship them back to a friend or family member, they'll be waiting for you when you get there.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

LOL, lot's of good advice here!! IMO, skip the camping plans. That's just me.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Oddy wrote:
, lot's of good advice here!! IMO, skip the camping plans.

Much as I hate to admit/advise it, :waiting:.......... he's right!

When you consider your time frame and the distance involved here. you can ride much longer per day, (3 - 4hrs)before pulling off and grabbing a motel. It'll probably add at least 150 - 200miles of riding/day, when all things are considered. (no loss of 2hrs+ making/breaking camp)When camping, pulling in to a campground later in the evening (>7pm) could very well find the campground full, as most campers roll in by 5 -5:30!

When on tour and having to stay at a motel, I like to stop on the far side/outskirts of the town/city I'm stopping at, to avoid any traffic rushheaded into the town/city the next morning. Always have a full tank of fuel when you stop for the night. Quite often I will be rolling by 4 -5am and there are not many gas stations open at that hour, once away from a major centre.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thank you all for the replies. :applause:

We haven't had any trouble making 400 miles a day, and have both done afew 500+ mile days. You may be surprised to hear that she actually did a 475 mile day ona Rebel 450, and the high temp was around 90 that day. Honestly, she travels better than I do, although I would have to sacrifice my tough-guy biker image to tell you that, so I won't. :ROFL:

We've been talking the last couple days about the wisdom of camping on a trip like this. I love to camp, but I think we'll get more rest and possibly ride further going motel to motel - So far, you guys seem to agree. Perhaps the camping would be better left for week-long or weekend trips.

We don't really have a choice on the time frame, it's hard to even get 3 weeks off. If we hadn't arranged it a year in advance, I doubt we could have pulled it off.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Yeah,what Rusty & the Monk said,Carry the credit card & I don't know about the rest of the world,but at this stage of my life (65),after 300 miles,I'm looking at finding a pillow somewhere! Also,to be succesful in finding a motel room,start looking around 4pm.After 5-6 o'clock they're usually full,especially on the weekend days,which makes it neccesary you get an early start the next day.Oh yeah,& I agree I-80 is a boring ride

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

A good moto-camping trip is much more satisfying than a motorcycle - motel trip. The motorcycle - motel trip will get you more miles every day, but the moto-camping will get you more smiles.

Also, you meet interesting people camping on motorcycle - camping is of great interest by many in the campgrounds.

I belong to the GWRRA and in their Goldbook there is a listing of members who will assist on the road.... and offer camping. I have met some very interesting people as I camped in their back yard.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Just my .02 cents worth, I think that the trailer is getting no respect.

I have been on two good trips with my cargo trailer and I have no regrets. It has been painless to tow the box for over 10,000 miles this last year. Most of the time I have to remind myself it is back there cause it tows so easy. I have reverse so that is one thing I don't have to be concerned about.

I have found that I can be ready to go 10 to 20 minutes sooner than theriders I have traveled with. I just put everything in it's bag and set it in the trailer and I am done. The same is true on the unloading side of camping, just not as much time savings. If you want to challenge me to compete with Dusty, I'll deny I made this statement.

Needless to say that I can (and do) carry more than I need, but isn't that the idea of having more room? If you do go with the trailer, you cantake non-backpacking gear with you at some significantcost savings. For me I have a really hard time with a tent that won't let me stand up because of my rheumatoid arthritis, so I can carry a larger tent and a good cot. I think there are even more good reasons to drag a trailer along. Steve

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

The advice to take multiple credit cards is valid. In 2010 I had my personal card canceled because there was fraud on it. This happened a few weeks after I had made several purchases on Amazon.com. Capital One caught it before I did and handled it superbly and mailed a new card immediatley. But it still took several days for them to close the investigation before they would activate my new card. If this sort of thing happened while you were on a trip you could be very much skeeeroooed. I carrytwo cards fromtwo different companies andthe friend that I ride with carries two also. If I traveled alone I would have three.

Don't use debit cards away from home.

Do let your card companies know your travel plans.

I agree that camping is great but when you have a schedule to keep and miles to make use motels. That is what they are for.

Have a great trip.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

For a "taste" of camping without having to haul a lot of camping gear the KOA camping cabins work well. It's not like hitting a park or national forest camp ground, but it gets you a camp fire and a rustic feel. It's also about as fast as a motel.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I think everyone has a different idea of traveling depending on what we like about the trip, i.e. some like the ride, some like the roads, some like the sights and then some like certain sights, like Todds winter adventure last year, visiting parks across the USA. Then theres those who pack everything they need on their bike alone, others have trailers, some have campers and some stay in hotels. There is no right way or wrong way, it's whats going to suit you best.

My dream trip would be to leave the house. Since I am closest to the east coast and have spent a great deal of time there, I would head North...... Maybe South....... Mos likely West. I would have a trailer with one of these:

http://www.meijer.com/s/kamp-rite-double-tent-cot-with-rain-fly/_/R-167905?CAWELAID=895421131&cmpid=goobase

I would travel till I seen something I wanted to see, and stop early each day to rest, eat and enjoy my surroundings. If I had a month, I might make it all the way to the west coast....... Or I might make it to Tennessee..... Who knows...., who cares..... It's not the trip, it's the moment, the adventure.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.