420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for a decent set of engine covers for 81 gl1100.:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

You me and about 1000 others.....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:...Those things are first of all hard to come by, and some of the ones I have seen posted for sale needed to be straightened and re chromed....I called one of our many local salvage yards only to be told that any they had were not in the best of shape and then they went on to ask mega bucks for what they did have???? I have seen them on a web site selling new ones but here again ...not cheap...Good luck with your search and if you find two pair drop me a PM...

Claude....

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Chrome sheeted metal ones, I saw a set sale here on steve's sight a month ago for 40.00 ( my miss darn it):gunhead:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,171 Posts
imported post

give these folks a jingle. their barn is stuffed with stuff 50 feet high on shelves.

Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts

1325 E Elwood St
Phoenix, AZ 85040
(602) 243-4241‎
(602) 437-3148‎

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Question on the engine covers, it seems they would contain a lot of heat preventing the engine from cooling inthe airflow.

Or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm not sure it would be an issue since these wings are water cooled.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
You wanting the chromed sheet metal ones, or the contoured ABS ones?
Contoured ABS? I didn't know such an animal existed. Please inform me on who has them and for how much. Any pic's of some would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of of re-doing my 1100. It is getting a bunch of new shiny bits and pieces. I have thought about getting some engine covers but not sure. ABS if they look good and are inexpensive might be route I take.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have seen abs for 1200's and they go higher than the chrome..........

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
Silicon Sam wrote:
You wanting the chromed sheet metal ones, or the contoured ABS ones?
Contoured ABS? I didn't know such an animal existed. Please inform me on who has them and for how much. Any pic's of some would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of of re-doing my 1100. It is getting a bunch of new shiny bits and pieces. I have thought about getting some engine covers but not sure. ABS if they look good and are inexpensive might be route I take.

Thanks,

Brian
Not cheaper, but not a lot more expensive. Certainly not shinier, but lots better looking in my opinion, if painted right.

Here's a bike I saw in a parking lot here in Austin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

wow Sam that's the first time I ever saw those type. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Markland made them, but threw away the molds 10-15 years ago. Someone was going to produce them, but guess not.

They show up on ebay from time to time. I'll keep an eye out for them.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Knucklebucket wrote:
I'm not sure it would be an issue since these wings are water cooled.
Yes, they are "water cooled", but they still use the air passing through the bike and over the engine to cool as well.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

I've seen a discussion on the engine covers recently. Seems it was on the Naked GoldWing site. If I remember correctly, someone called the covers a "Stator Cooker" and someone else called them something like "Fuel Pump Roaster". I've got a set and never had any problems on my bike, even running lowers for the fairing, which would further divert air from the engine.

Just my $.02. :)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Never had a problem with side engine covers.They're not airtight,so air does pass through them. Theres slots for airflow too. Have seen several on ebay but be ready for a fight. I seen 1 set of the abs in the last year on ebay. Went high. Riding time is here so get ready to pay. Winter is the best time for picking up some chrome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.