Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1981 GL1100 Interstate and would like to replace the existing Clarion I system with a full functioning system including the CB and Intercom. I have the standard Hondaline fairing with the existing stereo mounted in the lower section of the left side of the fairing.

Anyone have a lead on a system that would work?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

:stumped:

WOW, No replies after several days. Are these really this hard to find?

:(

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I just bought one from a member in Germany(soldier stationed oversees) and yes they are VERY hard to find. If you do find one, they are VERY expensive.

Good luck!:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

ya they are very pricey i looked into just buying a control unit from a local scrap yard because i believe that is the problem with my system and they wanted $200 right off the bat, all for a radeo that is older then me lol. i have a type 2 in mine.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

If you can find a component terminal, I can help you out with everything else, including cassette deck, but don't have speakers.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've been looking for a complete Clarion II system for the last 6 months, every time I found one on Ebay I get outbid or they're too high to begin with.

A lot of sellers on ebay are nothing more than parts breakers. They buy complete running bikes and part them out, they don't care about the parts being over 30 years old and half of them don't even test the systems before selling them on ebay for 3 times what they're really worth.

I ended up buying a Clarion I system from a forum member for my 82 Intersate, still haven't got it's intercom working yet.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Bag, I don't believe you will get the Type I intercom ever working. There is only one DIN connection.

Type II can be had for $100 if you look hard

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Bag, I don't believe you will get the Type I intercom ever working. There is only one DIN connection.

Type II can be had for $100 if you look hard
Mine has 2 din connectors, I just haven't picked up my cables from another member or bought any headsets yet. Once I get the cables then I'm gonna take a run down to SB's house and use one of his headsets to test it with before I waste money buying something that's not going to work.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Bag, yes, your's has two DIN connectors. However, one connector goes to the amplifier, right?

That leaves you with one DIN. You can comunicate with yourself?

Somebody correct me if I am misunderstanding the situation.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

And one more item. My 1982 has a TYPE I and I can say without a doubt, that the radio is not that great. I have bought 3 of these gems and all have been less than good. The last TYPE I, I sent to Sierra and they made it work. The other GL1100 with a TYPE II works better; sound and operation.

If I had to do it again, I'd swap the TYPE I for a modern radio and maybe find some other intercom system.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I haven't seen a full Clarion II system with cb on ebay for over a month now and I watch like a hawk on there for one.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Bag, yes, your's has two DIN connectors. However, one connector goes to the amplifier, right?

The Type II uses a splitter (1 into 2) cable. Thats how you get two DIN connections for two headsets.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OK I found this web site today, it is more or less a site decitated to Gold Wing parts and is directed to Ebay???? http://www.hondagoldwings.com ...I saw an complete radio system there off a 83 for $99.00...you might want to check it out..Then too it might just be another "well its used it may or may not work" type of a deal?????

I found it under 1100 parts.... Ebay number if this helps is....350125977193...see if this works....

Claude....

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
OK I found this web site today, it is more or less a site decitated to Gold Wing parts and is directed to Ebay???? http://www.hondagoldwings.com ...I saw an complete radio system there off a 83 for $99.00...you might want to check it out..Then too it might just be another "well its used it may or may not work" type of a deal?????

I found it under 1100 parts.... Ebay number if this helps is....350125977193...see if this works....

Claude....
That's the same one listed above, a Clarion I system, no cb.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
sandcastcb750 wrote:

The Type II uses a splitter (1 into 2) cable. Thats how you get two DIN connections for two headsets.
To expand on what SB is saying, the headsets can work off the same cable setup or din plug because the wiring harness for the front and rear headsets is a 2 into 1 setup. The extender cable plugs are wired in a parallel circuit, not series. Therefore both mics input over the same circuit to the radio and the sound is tranmitted back out to both headset speakers over the same circuit. This is why when you talk over the intercom you hear your own voice at the same time the other person hears it.

You can actually take 2 extender cables hooked together at the rear passenger plug and create a 3rd intercom hookup to go to a sidecar passenger. In effect, 3 hookups feeding into the same, single din plug on the back of the radio creating a 3 person intercom setup.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Only if it already has intercom. Bagmaster says he has a Type 1 with intercom, which I didn't know was an option, but must be. I was just saying that even the Type II only has one 5 pin pigtail coming out for the intercom/cb headsets and relys on a "splitter cable" to hook up both rider/pass.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.