Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Lock is broken for gas tank lid. Require a lock that will fit an A3 key. My lock has the number 75KA3 on it.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

I was wondering if a lock was needed for the fuel door. I had a Toyota that appeared to have a locking gas door but in reality any slotted thing would open it as there were no pins in the cylinder.

I never locked anything in there except once, the keys. Try to explain that you've locked your keys in your motorcycle. :ssshh:

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The lock works fine..Just the dust cover broken which will allow rain and all kinds of crap in there. Locksmith tells me it is almost impossible to fix it as the cap is pressed on over the cylinder. I can get a new one from Honda..Just can't get it key coded to my key which is a A3. So I thought I would try here..LOL

·
Pwhoever
3,098 Posts
imported post

There should be one more number after the 3. If you still have the factory keys, those have the letter and 2 numbers. Yours should have A3* and * would be the final number. Another popular option is to go ahead and get the new lock and put that on the right dash pocket and put that right dash pocket lock in your gas door. Since a lot of folks rarely use the right dash pocket, they will just put the key for that somewhere in the trunk. Another popular option is to put the new lock "different key" in the gas door, cut the head of one of the keys off and mount it in a knob. You can then just leave that in the gas door all the time or take it with you when you shut the bike off. If you did just leave it in, you wouldn't have to worry about someone taking the bike because the ignition will be keyed differently.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i took out the lock for the fuel tank and put a push button release mechanism it works out really slick

other things ive seen is people superglueing keys into the lock for the fuel tank and putting a chrome cap over it to dress it up nice so you dont have to shut off your bike just for a quick fill up or to keep you from removing the ign key all the time causing it to wear out the key and lock prematurly

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
There should be one more number after the 3. If you still have the factory keys, those have the letter and 2 numbers. Yours should have A3* and * would be the final number. Another popular option is to go ahead and get the new lock and put that on the right dash pocket and put that right dash pocket lock in your gas door. Since a lot of folks rarely use the right dash pocket, they will just put the key for that somewhere in the trunk. Another popular option is to put the new lock "different key" in the gas door, cut the head of one of the keys off and mount it in a knob. You can then just leave that in the gas door all the time or take it with you when you shut the bike off. If you did just leave it in, you wouldn't have to worry about someone taking the bike because the ignition will be keyed differently.
A38 is the number on my key.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Peterbilt you mention "i took out the lock for the fuel tank and put a push button release mechanism it works out really slick" Where did you get such a device it is exactly what I am looking for. My lock is broke.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Ya sounds interesting:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

hey, hawggy just looking through some threads and came across this one. Am a locksmith and work on automotive doors and ignitions daily. Locksmiths who work on autos,( some just do commercial, some only do institutional for eg) will have a face cap kit with various caps that press on the face of locks after the factory pressed-on cap is removed/destroyed to recode, clean or rebuild the lock cylinder. Are you mechanically inclined? I would find an auto locksmith, get a mazda, b2200 face cap from them ( might charge you $5. Tear off the old face cap... careful not to damage the spring or dust cover under the cap....take your time and straighten out anything damaged from the prying by the bad guy.....put the spring and dust door back in...put the new cap on by pressing over the 4 stubs and voila you have the same coded lock to fit back into your tank cover! I've done this for motorcycle customers and their bill was less than $20total. The only tough part is holding the dust door and spring in place while you get the face cap in position to bend over the stubs!

Hope this helps, if ya need a couple of pics ....will bring a face cap home tomorrow. An older nissan or toyota cap would also probably suffice Cheers and good luck

:smiler:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Well Jeff it just sounds like you have opened up a cottage industry to repair our old GL locks. What's the turnaround time if we send it to you? :cheesygrin:

When I got the 1500 the key wouldn't fit in the lock and neither the PO or myself could see why. I went to the closest locksmith and he found the little dust door was all broken up and the pieces had fallen into the lock mechanism. He finally got most of the pieces out but never even suggested that he could change the outer face cap.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

couple of days would be easy to deal with for turnaround....important for the locks is the dust door and spring, i have all kinds of springs and doors but they must work with the cylinder so they are important. The other critical point is the front of the lock cylinder<under the face cap>it has to have the ability to hold the spring and dust door hinge.......the peg that holds the dust door steady must be sturdy in its holes to allow good opening and spring action to close the thing! Lets try a couple...see what you think.

Should also mention the Goldwings do come in the Hd74 and Hd75 keyways. They are mirror opposites and not interchangeable. Locks can only be keyed to locks that the key goes into.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the info Jeff

Just found this thread now as email notifications are not coming my way...LOL

Appreciate the help..:claps:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Good tip Jeff! you info should go to file in the tech area.

Last year I found the door and spring had come apart late at night. Had to take off the foe tank to fill up. Pulled the lock later and used a dental pick to get t pieces out.

Works but this helps me to finish the repair. Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

here is a picture of various facecaps used to replace the factory pressed on versions, honda does not make them, but the mazda caps from the old b2200 trucks work great.

Attachments

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for the pictures and help Jeff. Much appreciated.:claps:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

yes.. if the dust door is damaged or the cylinder/keyway is damaged too much it is a tough go to fix.....i have many times bent the dust door back into shape in order to get it working well. we have also used dust doors from a mazda b2200 to work on a goldwing lock. They are the same size and the parts work well together. If its a dust door on the compartment locks, it better to use another lock from a parts bike( with a good dust door)...then recode it to the new bikes' key, and then put the new recodedcore into the latch. cheers

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.