Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, UK based, I have a GL1100 interstate, 1981. Rear twin piston brake caliper and master cylinder need to be replaced. Ordered wrong one off ebay. Anyone know where I can get these parts in the UK /Eire?
Thanks... :)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
You may want to post this in the proper forum, but the 1981 GL1100 came with single piston wheel cylinder. Do you truly have a 1981, or did someone put the dual piston cylinder on the bike at some point?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may want to post this in the proper forum, but the 1981 GL1100 came with single piston wheel cylinder. Do you truly have a 1981, or did someone put the dual piston cylinder on the bike at some point?
Sorry, not familiar with the website, what forum should I use? The wing was imported from the USA in 1991 So I guess they fitted twin pistons over there?
Gerry

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Sorry, not familiar with the website, what forum should I use? The wing was imported from the USA in 1991 So I guess they fitted twin pistons over there?
Gerry
I don't know why they would have fitted a twin piston brake cylinder 10 years after the bike was made, for export. Or the original owner swapped it out. The '81 GL100 came single cylinder, there was no dual piston until 1982.

Are the front brake cylinders single or dual piston? What model does the bike say on the steering column?

As for forum, there is one called For Sale / Wanted, makes sense to use that one. But you need to find out what you really need first.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why they would have fitted a twin piston brake cylinder 10 years after the bike was made, for export. Or the original owner swapped it out. The '81 GL100 came single cylinder, there was no dual piston until 1982.

Are the front brake cylinders single or dual piston? What model does the bike say on the steering column?

As for forum, there is one called For Sale / Wanted, makes sense to use that one. But you need to find out what you really need first.
Hi Sam, They are twin pistons on the front too, and the steering column says GL1100 1982

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Hi Sam, They are twin pistons on the front too, and the steering column says GL1100 1982
Okay, so you have a 1982 bike, not a 1981. A big, big difference.

Unfortunately, on the GL1100 models, almost every year (except '80 and '81) has a different brake system.
You may want to post on the For Sale/Wanted forum here, and be vigilant on ebay as well. They are hard to find, and if yours are truly not repairable, then maybe someone else that has dealt with a '82 model can chime in and tell you what else may fit.

What exactly did you get from ebay on your original post?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so you have a 1982 bike, not a 1981. A big, big difference.

Unfortunately, on the GL1100 models, almost every year (except '80 and '81) has a different brake system.
You may want to post on the For Sale/Wanted forum here, and be vigilant on ebay as well. They are hard to find, and if yours are truly not repairable, then maybe someone else that has dealt with a '82 model can chime in and tell you what else may fit.

What exactly did you get from ebay on your original post?
Hi Sam, I'm feeling a bit daft now... I got a single piston caliper, the mountings are wrong, I've seen the correct items on ebay, (as per your link) but they are all in the USA, I'll trawl the UK sites a bit more otherwise I'll buy from the state and pay the price of shipping and import tax etc. Thanks for all you help.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.