Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking for a decent priced windshield for my GL1200...any ideas? Thank you for any help.

Tom

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

What do you consider decent priced? Chrome World has them starting at $87.95 for a non-vented Memphis Shades shield. I see a clear one on ebay as low as $59.98 with free shipping.

John

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I have one that came off a GL1200Iin decent shape. $15 plus shipping. Send me your email and I will try to send pic.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

I got my slip streamer on ebay for 58.99 with free shipping..Thats the best price on a new one I could find anywhere..

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

activitytom43 wrote:
I am looking for a decent priced windshield for my GL1200...any ideas? Thank you for any help.

Tom
Tom,

I'm looking for a windshieldfor my GL1200A as well.

However, I have steered clear of those by Memphis Shades and other similar inexpensive reproductions for one reason. Most of thosearemade of acrylic, which goes by such brand names as Plexiglas and Lucite. The problem with acrylic is it literally shatters to pieces if struck by anything hard and heavy enough, thusgiving you little protection in such a case. It doesn't take too big of a rock or other piece of road debris to do the job when you're moving at highway speeds.

Polycarbonate, on the other hand is very toughand can take a good shot without shattering. One well known brand name is Lexan. Of course, these are going to be more expensive, but I have no problem spending forsafety's sake.

So, I'm looking for an aftermarket windshield for a GL1200 made of polycarbonate. So far I haven't found one, but have just recently started looking.

I remember seeing a video on YouTube that showed an acrylic windshield shattering on impact, and then a polycarbonate one taking the same shot and surviving. If I can re-find video that maybe I can find the company that makes them.

I'll report back if I do. Please let us all know what you find as well.

FOLLOW UP: OK... found the video, it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

Pretty dramatic video. They're smashing windshields with everything from rocks to hammers and baseball bats to pistols and shotguns! Really.

The company that makes the video and the polycarbonate (GE Lexan) windshields is National Cycle. I'll look them up next. It confirmed at the end of the video that Plexiglas, Lucite (Memphis Shades are Lucite), Acrycast, and Cee Bailey's "aircraft plastic" are all examples of acrylic windshields.

FOLLOW UP #2: Went to the http://www.nationalcycle.com web site and looked for a replacement windshield for a GL1200. Looks like the only one they make is for an '84 GL1200 Standard. None for Interstate, Aspencade, etc. Yet they make them for the GL1800. Not enough volume in GL1200I/A to justify the expense I guess.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

its ashame your in the states tom, i got a brand new one wrapped in bubble wrap with a goldwing emblem on it behind my sofa, the screen is brown

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.