Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Right Side Cover for my 95 Aspencade to match as seen in Photo.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,922 Posts
you are going to have to search eBay and other sources.

finding that exact color scheme is going to be a 1 in a million shot though.

here is a link to eBay

I see some plain vanilla covers there, look like carbon copies that someone is making now.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
You can always buy after market chrome ones if all else fails.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Looking for a Right Side Cover for my 95 Aspencade to match as seen in Photo. View attachment 324056
I would find one that has the same paint scheme - two tone - with the pinstripe. Find out what the colour code is for your bike. Remove the emblems - held on with double sided tape. If the paint finish is in good shape, wet sand with 600/800 paper until smooth. Using Fineline tape 1/8 inch, apply tape over the old pinstripe to separate the two colours. Depending on the paint type, plain or metal flake - use a 0.5 mm nozzle airbrush or up to a 0.8 mm nozzle mini spray gun. Tape/paper the area that will not be painted first, recommend doing the outside colour first. I'd leave the paint to dry overnight, then tape/paper the new paint and paint the inside colour. Do not remove the pinstripe tape - extremely important. Leave the second area to cure/harden overnight then remove the tape and paper. Do not remove the pinstripe tape.

Can't emphasize enough not to remove the pinstripe tape.

This is the last stage in the painting and quite important. With the initial pinstripe tape in place, apply new pinstripe tape on the inside and outside of the original pinstripe tape. Tape/paper off the newly painted areas. Remove the original pinstripe tape. You should now have a 1/8 inch gap between the new pinstripe tape you applied. Use a brush or better still an airbrush and paint the pinstripe the colour you need. This picture shows what I mean about applying the initial pinstripe tape to keep the colours separate:

Front Fairing Gold-Brown Painted.jpg

The orange pinstripe tape was used to define the two areas. When the painting was done, I left the original pinstripe tape on and applied new pinstripe tape to both sides of the original pinstripe, then removed the original pinstripe. I had to do an additional 1/16 inch stripe so a bit more taping was in order.

This picture shows the front fairing with the pinstripes and painting done:
Front Fairing Pinstripe Done.jpg

When this is done, remove all tape/paper, and clear coat the entire panel - 2/3 coats. Look just like new. Clean the emblems and attach using double sided tape.

Did a complete paint job on my '95 1500 - Glacier Pearl White, 3 part paint system, and just finishing up the new paint job on my '85 Limited Edition - gold and brown metal flake with pinstripes. Honda used a decal to do the pinstripe and these no longer exist so I had to tape to get the outline between the gold and brown metal flake colours, and to have a 1/8 and 1/16 inch pinstripe. Used mini spray gun 0.8 mm nozzle to do the black pinstripe. The '85 has a few panels needing pinstriping:
Clear coat.jpg

The paint guns I used for my 1500 were from Princess Auto, 0.8 mm nozzle mini spray gun on sale for $20.00. There are inexpensive ones on Amazon and eBay, 0.5 mm nozzle, for about the same. Small compressor works just fine with these. I had always wanted to use a paint spray gun and this year afforded me the opportunity. You can use spray cans, but the finish from a spray gun is much better. Unused paint can be stored for next time, even the mixed paint if it's in an air tight container. I do all my painting in my garage.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would find one that has the same paint scheme - two tone - with the pinstripe. Find out what the colour code is for your bike. Remove the emblems - held on with double sided tape. If the paint finish is in good shape, wet sand with 600/800 paper until smooth. Using Fineline tape 1/8 inch, apply tape over the old pinstripe to separate the two colours. Depending on the paint type, plain or metal flake - use a 0.5 mm nozzle airbrush or up to a 0.8 mm nozzle mini spray gun. Tape/paper the area that will not be painted first, recommend doing the outside colour first. I'd leave the paint to dry overnight, then tape/paper the new paint and paint the inside colour. Don not remove the pinstripe tape - extremely important. Leave the second area to cure/harden overnight then remove the tape and paper. Do not remove the pinstripe tape.

Can't emphasize enough not to remove the pinstripe tape. This is the last stage in the painting and quite important. With the initial pinstripe tape in place, apply new pinstripe tape on the inside and outside of the original pinstripe tape. Tape/paper off the newly painted areas. Remove the original pinstripe tape. You should now have a 1/8 inch gap between the new pinstripe tape you applied. Use a brush or better still an airbrush and paint the pinstripe the colour you need. This picture shows what I mean about applying the initial pinstripe tape to keep the colours separate: View attachment 324217

The orange pinstripe tape was used to define the two areas. When the painting was done, I left the original pinstripe tape on and applied new pinstripe tape to both sides of the original pinstripe, then removed the original pinstripe. I had to do an additional 1/16 inch stripe so a bit more taping was in order.

This picture shows the front fairing with the pinstripes and painting done: View attachment 324218

When this is done, remove all tape/paper, and clear coat the entire panel - 2/3 coats. Look just like new. Clean the emblems and attach using double sided tape.

Did a complete paint job on my '95 1500 - Glacier Pearl White, 3 part paint system, and just finishing up the new paint job on my '85 Limited Edition - gold and brown metal flake with pinstripes. Honda used a decal to do the pinstripe and these no longer exist so I had to tape to get the outline between the gold and brown metal flake colours, and to have a 1/8 and 1/16 inch pinstripe. Used mini spray gun 0.8 mm nozzle to do the black pinstripe. The '85 has a few panels needing pinstriping: View attachment 324219

The paint guns I used for my 1500 were from Princess Auto, 0.8 mm nozzle mini spray gun on sale for $20.00. There are inexpensive ones on Amazon and eBay, 0.5 mm nozzle, for about the same. Small compressor works just fine with these. I had always wanted to use a paint spray gun and this year afforded me the opportunity. You can use spray cans, but the finish from a spray gun is much better. Unused paint can be stored for next time, even the mixed paint if it's in an air tight container. I do all my painting in my garage.

Good luck.
Hi Rednaxs60, Thanks for the writeup, have saved it for future reference. Where did you purchase your paint??

I have paint guns, air brush etc., and have done some painting in the past so good on that front.

The Honda paint code under the paint flap seems to refer only to the base colour. I guess I could take the left side colour to a body shop and get them to scan it to create a recipe for the paint mixers.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Got the paint for the 1200 at Rondex, the paint for the 1500 at Bumper to Bumper paint department. Both paints were Valspar. There is a Rondex dealer in Kamloops and Vernon.

The paint code may come up as having both listed. The paint code for the 1200, gold and brown metal flake, came up under the gold metal flake colour. Only issue was one of the ingredients for the brown metal flake was not available, but my paint guy came up with a suitable alternative.

The 1500 was painted because I started with a repair to the left side panel:
Left side panel tab and corner braoken - 2.jpg
Once this was done and put back on the bike, the rest of the bike looked dated and the clear coat had yellowed over the past 25 or so years. Side panel repaired and painted:
Left side panel corner painted.jpg
With the C-19 issue, it was off to the races with a major paint project. There are some 75 or 20 pieces when everything is taken apart.

Cheers

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,922 Posts
wow,
You did a bang up job on those bikes, looks like a pro shop did the work.

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the paint for the 1200 at Rondex, the paint for the 1500 at Bumper to Bumper paint department. Both paints were Valspar. There is a Rondex dealer in Kamloops and Vernon.

The paint code may come up as having both listed. The paint code for the 1200, gold and brown metal flake, came up under the gold metal flake colour. Only issue was one of the ingredients for the brown metal flake was not available, but my paint guy came up with a suitable alternative.

The 1500 was painted because I started with a repair to the left side panel: View attachment 324220 Once this was done and put back on the bike, the rest of the bike looked dated and the clear coat had yellowed over the past 25 or so years. Side panel repaired and painted: View attachment 324221 With the C-19 issue, it was off to the races with a major paint project. There are some 75 or 20 pieces when everything is taken apart.

Cheers
Nice Job! Impressed with your broken piece repair. Did you use the ABS shavings and ABS glue method or???

I know all about how many pieces there are on the bike as I had mine torn down to the point that the only piece left on it was the Fairing itself. Fortunately the bike cleaned up to the point that it looks showroom fresh. will post photos when I can get it outside in decent lighting.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A mix of ABS pieces and cement. Tried the slurry thing but wasn't successful.

Had a lot of cracks to fix on the 1500 and 1200. Time takes a toll on these plastic parts, if you don't fix these cracks these will show through the new paint job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts