Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've searchedand though there are many posts on spinning starters, dragging starters, and hard-starting when warm/hot, this seems a differentproblem.

Maybe three times this season, I have hopped back on the bike and hit the starter to get no response. Push the button 2 or 3 more times before it fires back up strong as usual. Yesterday was wait 15 seconds, turn the handlebars, push the button again - then it started. Maybe just a faulty switch, but again has happened only when warm. Worried someday it will strand me!

Thanks for the ideas,

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

quickest way to test your starter is to jump it from the +ve terminal of battery, to the starter housing wire terminal. If there's no hesitation, then your starter's fine. Mine was doing the same thing, and it was spark/ignition related.Battery fully-charged? Good sparkplugs, wires?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

First spray some "Contact Cleaner" into the switch, it's cured that problem for me on 3 bikes, I get it at "Radio Shack" !:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have a light pair of jumper cables that stay in my left saddlebag along with the tool kit. With a bike that has no kickstarter it's cheap insurance. I've not had to use them on my bike, though I've helped stranded motorists with them (not jumping from my bike of course) and they can be used to start my bike if the relay fails. Somehow with the jumpers and the emergency air hose it feel more prepared.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You can also push start a Wing by placing it in second gear with the ignition and kill switch in the on position with the clutch held in, then you roll the bike as quick as you can then hop on and release the clutch. Before I replaced my alternator I had to do this on several occasions and wa amazed at how easy it was. But, it's always better if the bike is properly maintained so that all you have to do is press the start button and go.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
I've searchedand though there are many posts on spinning starters, dragging starters, and hard-starting when warm/hot, this seems a differentproblem.

Maybe three times this season, I have hopped back on the bike and hit the starter to get no response. Push the button 2 or 3 more times before it fires back up strong as usual. Yesterday was wait 15 seconds, turn the handlebars, push the button again - then it started. Maybe just a faulty switch, but again has happened only when warm. Worried someday it will strand me!
hossners, you could have about anything happening there, from a momentarilyopen fuse, to a failed clutch or trans switch, to a failing starter relay, to a starter problem, to open in a wire connection, to a failing push button.

You might try carrying a small 12 volt test light with you & next time the problem appears first see if you are powering the starter relay when your push the starter button (if not look at fuse, wire connections, or push button.. If power to the relay use the test light on the other small relay terminal & see if the clutch or trans switch is providing a ground for that leg of the relay.. If all good so far place the test light on the starter's power post & look for power there when the button is pushed, if power on the starter's power post you probably have a starter internal problem (usually a ground brush issue).

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Check the main fuse as well. We've had this on the forum before, where corrossion on the fuse ends caused problems exactly like you describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.