Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Fram spin on oil filter of a member of the Silverwing600 forum had an engine sieze due what appears to have been an internal collapse of a Fram filter. This is the same filter that fits the Goldwing. There have been recalls of Fram spin on filters before, one in 1995 with this problem. The Fram canister type such as those used on the four cylinder 'Wings haven't had any problems reported.
It's been long enough to repost this link once again.
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I wouldn't use a Fram filter on any of my vehicles. I got more respect for them than to use that crap. It's unfortunate Fram quality has dropped so much. At one time they were the filter of choice.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Cut a Fram apart and look at it. The end caps are 2 pieces of cardboard with a little filter media in between. J U N K !

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I stopped buying Fram oil filters after the following experiences:

1) Had a filter pop off the engine upon initial startup. Turned out that the threads on the filter were defective, and that the unit was actually under recall. (Guess the Recall was ignored, as I had just bought the filter)

2) Happened to look inside a brand new filter just prior to installation, and noticed loose Metal Chips inside!

3) Took two new filters off the shelf in the store and happened to look inside each to check for debris (because I did not want to find metal chips inside again)... Much to my shock, BOTH were contaminated with sawdust!... I showed them to the store manager, and could only discern that they came from the factory that way.

Bottom Line: There's something wrong with Frams Quality Control

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Couldn't swear to it now,but Fram used to build Honda OEM spin on filters.
Haven't used them on anything for years.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Fram filters have long been known to be junk. A guy on my Vulcan 750 forum had his Kawasaki Voyager engine destroyed by a Fram filter that collapsed inside the can, and that was 10 years ago. Google Fram filter problems, and you'll find tons of negative stuff about them. Having been so bad for so long, I don't understand why they are still selling.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not easy to be sure where some filters come from because one manufacturer will make them for several different names.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It's not easy to be sure where some filters come from because one manufacturer will make them for several different names.
It's easy to look at a cartridge filter as used in the fours so quality is usually about the same brand to brand. However with a spin on filter quality or lack thereof is hidden from view.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used Fram cannister filters in a couple of cars I had in the old days and used them in the 1100 and 1200 'Wings I refurbished. Those filters are okay.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I will stick with Bosch, Purolator, NAPA Gold, ...
Agree with the thoughts (of ost) on Fram Orange filters - NO THANKS!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I've got a lot of $$ invested in my vehicles and depend on them to run properly, especially my bikes. There are as many options as there are opinions, so do your own research and find out who makes what, and the differences. An oil filter is too important not to use a good quality unit, even if you change it very often.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
A Fram spin on oil filter of a member of the Silverwing600 forum had an engine sieze due what appears to have been an internal collapse of a Fram filter. This is the same filter that fits the Goldwing. There have been recalls of Fram spin on filters before, one in 1995 with this problem. The Fram canister type such as those used on the four cylinder 'Wings haven't had any problems reported.
It's been long enough to repost this link once again.
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml
Has this one been cut open?

I thought I read of one Fram for the 1100/1200 being found to have a hole in the paper before installation?

I stick with and recommend the Wix/Napagold oil filters.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Me thinks when fram started out sourciing filters (IE: China),they went to blazes,prior to that (25 yrs ago) they were dependable,I still have some antiques (?) I picked up at a swap meet yrs ago for my old H-D that still work pretty good ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.