Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

WARNING

since I posted a few things on the site for sale I have received 7(seven ) clearly fraud type emails. I have not answered any but they are typical; Poor english, send me info etc etc pay more by M/O but refund difference etc etc My bike is not for sale but 2 of them were willing to pay well above market for it???

Be careful

Neil

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
WARNING

since I posted a few things on the site for sale I have received 7(seven ) clearly fraud type emails. I have not answered any but they are typical; Poor english, send me info etc etc pay more by M/O but refund difference etc etc My bike is not for sale but 2 of them were willing to pay well above market for it???

Be careful

Neil
Thanks for warning mate, we will have to be careful on this and not get conned.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Darn, I saw "Low Lifes" and thought this was another roll call. Sorry, I am out of here!!

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

lets see I have had

front fender extention viewed 17 times

Magellan GPS viewed 35 times

Honda Volt guage viewed 82 times

One of these must be a spammer or forwarding on emails

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

here is one of the emails

Here's my email:

My name is Jessica Cole.. I saw your advertand I will like to buy this item for my son and in Nigeria.. I want you to tell me your final price along with your contact information so that I can make the payment right away.. I will be sending you a Money Order thru Bidpay for the payment of the item...Below is the little onI would have prefer it via Paypal but i loose over 15,000USd cuz my email was hacked and they withdraw all the mone in my account since last year August and since then, no good news that is why i swtich to bidpay..Let me explain little that I know abt them to you.. Bidpay is like a third party between a seller and a buyer.. Once you give me your full contact information needed for the payment, i will proceed with the payment and Once the payment is process and confirmed, they will notify you the payment confirmation and once the notify you that the payment is approved, you will shipped out the merchandise and mail bidpay the shipment tracking number so that they can have the proof that the shipment as been done and they will deliver your money to you at the address you gave to me.. This is the little i can explain..Kindly get back to me with your full contact information so that I can make the payment right away...

Best Regards.
Jessica Cole

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

I'm afraid that is happening all over the web. Scam merchants picking up e-mails and relpying to adverts. Happened me on other sites and there is a big warning about this on the old for sale page as well. Best not to put your e-mail address in the advert. Do it all by PM or phone.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Neil. It warns you about this on the guidelines post. Any site that generates big hits is obviously going to get these scumbags chancing their arms. Modify your advert and take out your e-mail address.

For those other people that don't bother to read the guidelines, here it is;

"When posting adverts, please remember to put your location (country) in the advert, unless you already have this in your profile. It's not essential to put any private information like telephone numbers in the advert, although you can of course do this if you want to. Anyone interested in the item for sale can send you a PM and you can pass on any information that way if you prefer.
It's better if you do not put your e-mail address in your advert, otherwise scammers from Nigeria and other places will try to con you out of your hard earned cash. Examples of these scam e-mails can be found on this page
[url]http://www.goldwingfacts.com/scamemails.htm[/url]
When you sell or buy the item, please send a PM to either the moderator (wexman) or myself (wingnut) with the name and date of your advert so that we can delete it and free up space. We will probably prune older adverts every couple of months anyway."

PM's and phone contact is the way to go. Most of us have been aware of these scammers for years as they do the rounds of all sites selling stuff.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Anyone who ignores the warnings that the admin went to the trouble of posting is just asking for it. People really need to read these things, I wonder how many people bother to read the FAQ section (let alone the advert posting guidelines), not many judging by the same questions that get asked over and over (how do I post pictures etc...).

Sorry to see you got scammers mailing you Neil, but I see your e-mail address is still in your adverts. Thats really pushing it IMO.Take it out and you won't have any more problems. These scummers are all over the web these days and they just prowl forums and for sale places looking for e-mails. I'm just surprised you weren't aware of this already, you certainly are now. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Ted doesn't pull any punches does he! He is right about these guys though. I've had this on the main GL1800 forum myself. Posted something for sale and got about 12 different scammers all begging to give me more money than I wanted. I just deleted my e-mail address from the advertisement and never heard from them again. Putting your e-mail address in an advert is plain silly, I'm not afraid to admit doing it myself but I've learned my lesson.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

so lets see Ted

I put an ad up then I have no way for non memberssurfing or some ungeegs on the site to contact me re ad???? Is that the way I read your reply? ( a non member bought my voltguage by the way)

I am well aware of the scammers and spammers out there. I can hit the delete button pretty fast. It is not much of an effort once or twice a day I rarley read mail from suspicius addresses

All I was doing on this post was informing some people to be careful

As correctly pointed out by someone else most people rarely read the instructions

Neil

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
so lets see Ted

I put an ad up then I have no way for non memberssurfing or some ungeegs on the site to contact me re ad???? Is that the way I read your reply? ( a non member bought my voltguage by the way)

I am well aware of the scammers and spammers out there. I can hit the delete button pretty fast. It is not much of an effort once or twice a day I rarley read mail from suspicius addresses

All I was doing on this post was informing some people to be careful

As correctly pointed out by someone else most people rarely read the instructions

Neil

Neil, I didn't mean to offend. I fell outa the wrong side of bed this morning.
I just hate to see people taken in by these swines. I just wanted to hammer it home to the other members that an e-mail address in an adveris like a scum magnet, this site is so well known that scammers are going to find it easily and the members need to be aware. I still advise them to just use PMs of phone numbers. Non-members will register and send a PM if they are really interested in the sale items.

Sorry if I came across a bit strong, if we ever meet up I'll buy you a pint of old English ale! :alco:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Jeez Ted, rare for you to go down on one knee and grovel. You did the right thing, you came across a bit strong as you said and you're a good man to acknowledge it.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

There is no need to apologise TED ,you are absolutely right ,,People just dont take the time to read the guide lines ,,Use The PM system ,,that what it is there for ,,If they want to contact you let them register ,it only takes 2 minutes ,,,Some day these scammers will get there just reward ,,A few years in jail would be a nice start..Ciaran

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey englishted :waving:No need to be sorry. :clapper: This has to be hammered home once and for all. :whip: Dont put email addresses in your post it's that simple. :shakehead:

And as wexman says "A few yrs where the sun wont shine on them" :headbanger: would be a great cure. :blowingup:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

It's these thieving scumbags we should be directing our anger at. Not everyone is as fortunate as us and already knows about the nigerian scam. Plenty of people new to the web fall for this every day. Even reading the warnings mightn't be enough, many people don't believe it will happen to them and it "only happens to other people." I think there is a thriving industry in Nigeria, all based on sucking money out of innocent people.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Budegan :leprechaun: Thats a cool new Avator. :clapper:How many balls are you juggling ????? :stumped: Im trying to count them, is it 6 or 8. :baffled:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wake up folks, the scammers will hit just about every ad anyone places anywhere. Usually they are pretty easy to spot. Just remember don't ship anything until you have their money and it's cleared the bank. I'll take personal checks from anyone, but nothing moves until the bank says it's good. I often set up a separate email address on one of the freebie hosts, such as hotmail when selling something. That keeps the creeps off my main email address.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

enuf said Ted we all get up on the wrong side once in a while Me more than any one

As they say there is a sucker born every minute and that is what these spammers count on NO matter how much you rail at them to read the instructions they will still fall into the trap. All you can do is warn them

If I ever get over on that side of the pond again we will definitley hoist a few

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I sure like the way members of this forum can work out misunderstandings and end on a pleasant word. It's one of the reasons I like to come back!
By the way, I removed my e-mail address, based on this advice.
Thanks, guys.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

My brother-in-law is trying to sell his Vulcan 1500 and has had it advertised in several trader types of magazines. He got a call from someone from "Canada" who was more than willing to buy the bike at asking price. The buyer was going to buy his bike and another one in a nearby state. He wanted to bring one "cashiers" check down and go to his bank and have him cash the check and give him the difference!!! They were very slick talkers but didn't get away with it this time. BEWARE:3sum:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.