Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

after i went down on the bike back in october damage was bent valve, broken timing pulley and cover. replaced all those, got new head gasket and reinstalled properly. so i thought....

right now it starts up fine, but when riding there's smoke coming from the right exhaust. from what i can see is it's leaking oil and dripping on the headers, they're looking like they've had oil dripping on them. but i can't see anywhere that there's a leak. would a warped head have just enough clearence for the head gasket to leak a slight amount of oil? i'm pretty sure it can but want others to confirm if it's ever happened to them. i have an extra head, but really don't want to buy another head gasket :( i'm super broke.

also if it's ever so slightly warped and i mill down the head to perfectly flat, how greatly would this throw off the balance of the engine? i'm sure raising the compression on one side is likely to create uneven bearing wear, but again want others input on this.

so far i'm at work and it's moveable, but i don't want it to have a constant leak, and burning oil fumes at red lights is kinda getting to me :gunhead:

thanks guys!

chris

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Does it leave any puddle? Do you think it might be coming from the bottom of the valve cover?

I would be more inclined to look there or re think where any lil "O" rings might have been during re assembly. Have you ever re torqued the head bolts? That is always a good idea to prevent another blown head gasket in the future.

I think if your head was warped, you would have a better chance of coolant going into your combustion chamber or air pressure from your cylinder bubbling up into your rad resovoir.

A minimal head shave will not cause enough difference to off set your motor. Doing both is nice but you can only shave them a few times!

You can buy oil dye, put it into your crank case, ride the bike for awhile & when it gets dark out, go out with a black light & start shining it on your motor. Just like luminol on blood spatter!!!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

oh wow that oil dye is a great idea, never heard of that! and i thought it could be the valve cover, but can't see any oil trails, i put that head on just the other day, torqued it to spec. i can go double check make sure they're on and look at the valve cover seal too. and shaving the head would be a last resort, primarily because i don't want to get another head gasket :p thanks for the input though!!! i'll check it right now

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

A warped head will cause worse problems than an oil leak. Your oil leak is something else. It could be the cam pulley seal, valve cover gasket, fuel pump gaskets, front cover gasket, water pump seals, etc. Mine had a leak that wasn't apparent. I warmed it up, wiped the oil from under the valve cover and watched it until I could see where it was coming from. On mine it was the after market valve cover gasket. A Honda gasket fixed my issue. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.