Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Saturday was one of those days that started out down right ugly. Ominus would be a good description. Huge black clouds hung close to the ridges and the sun just couldn't penetrate the cloud cover. Breakfast and hot coffee got me going, then to the garage where I relocated my saddlebags down and rearward to finally make the passenger pegs accessible and actually made the bike look better too. The weather report called for rain later into the night but it looked as if the Clouds could open up at any moment. What the heck, I parked the Vette outside and rolled Raymond outside ( I named my bike Raymond after my Father). The temps were in the high 40s so I didn't need my heated gear. With Raymond warmed up we left with no where in particular to go. I crossed Black Oak Ridge riding thru the cloud cover and into rain on the other side. What happened to the forecast? The windshield and the chaps on the engine crashbars kept the rain off of me and I decided to ride as long as I could. Though the weather was miserable for riding, I settled in and was actually enjoying the ride. I picked a road with rolling hills and smooth curves. Though the road was wet the bike held the curves without incident. As I rode further into the country the clouds seemed to press themselves closer to the ground, obscuring the countryside. But rather than being depressed, I was really enjoying this ride. The dismal surroundings faded as my bike flowed seamlessly thru the curves, shifting to match engine speed to road speed, each curve demanding a different gear, a different lean angle. Constantly moving from 3rd thru 5th gear, I became obsessed with the challenge and became one with the bike. I had never ridden so effortlessly; it was like a dance that swayed and flowed to the music of a silent song, the exhaust marking time. My heart raced and my mind was speeding, hoping the moment would never end and knowing I would be hard pressed to duplicate this strange and beautiful, surrealistic event. I was completely immersed inthe moment and was shocked when I realized I was pulling into the driveway ending a 100 mile ride that seemed more like a dream. I will never look at clouds quite the same again!

Bernie

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

Good write up Bernie, glad you enjoyed your chance to get out this winter.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Outstanding piece, Bernie! Outstanding......

A Bike named Raymond...... gad, I really like that!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

CJ, coming from you I am honored! But now Raymond is muddy and needs a good bath! We have been having a lot of rain lately and rather than not ride, I choose to ride knowing that I will have to clean it when I get the chance.

Bernie

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Almost the same here Dubswing. I was putting some parts back on the Wing, in the garage with a forecast of about 40 & freezing rain.

Got the bike mostly finished & opened the garage door ! Blue skies & 55*...and climbing. Told Olive I was going to warm up the bike & maybe top off the tank. [she laughed].

At 6 miles, I passed the gas station since tank was full I kept going a bit. Then remembered it had Seafoam in the gas [might as well clean out the fuel system for spring...while I have the chance]. The 2 laner, when I leave my neighborhood, the speed limit is 65 mph, straight & very hilly. I looked at my speedo & it read 85 mph [oops], backed off & continued on non-stop highway which ends at the next state. I didn't see more than a dozen moving vehicles the entire time.

Engine purred, shifted like butter....TOO PERFECT.

It felt like summer. You know the rest. However,I DID get gas on the way back and the bike was warmed up properly.

Got home in time for dinner. Told Olive I had to "clean the carbs, lube the engine parts, check brakes, clutch, etc.,". She just smiled.

Next day, yesterday, was a high temp of 31* & windy....back to winter, until one of those magic days returns. :321:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I can't let an opportunity pass to ride. Some rides (like Saturday) are more magical than others but they all weave their individual spell over me. Everytime I ride, I look around and ask, God why me, what have I ever done to deserve the wonder of this moment? The song said it all; I am just fortunate enough realize it each time I ride. I can never repay the blessings, just be thankful for them and share them when I can.

Bernie

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

Sigh!

you guys make me jealous :crying:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I had the opportunity to ride again Sunday. A great ride but didn't compare to the day before. Partly cloudy skies turned grey, the cold started to creep in. Just as I finished 134 miles, droplets of rain ushered me into the garage. Soon, it was raining like pouring beer from a boot! Lois and I eased to a local eatery where we ate steak, quaffed a couple beers and watched the deluge from our table. A fitting end to a great weekend!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

A great write up on what seemed like a fantastic time. It's funny how some of the days that look totally washed out turn out to be the best ones.

I think I surprise everybody I talk with. They see that I'm on a bike and will say,,,

"it sure is a great day for riding a bike!"

And I always answer,, "any day is a good day for riding a bike!"

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Well done . Glad ya'll were able to get out and enjoy a few hrs of peace on the byways.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

High today of 10 degrees (f) Saturday and Sunday were freezing rain. tonight 2-4 inches of snow. Next 40 degree day will probably be 2 1/2 months away. 48 inches of snow so far. Someone remind me why I like living in Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

BC, You are obviously a masochistic individual into self denial, abuse and low self esteem!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Having friends who live in Wisconsin, I truly understand why anyone would live there. Besides a beautiful place to live, it is a great place to raise a family. just sucks if you happen to love riding. Just think how much more you will enjoy your first ride this Spring compared to all the guys that can ride all year and take it all for granted!

Bernie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.