Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to clean under covers of my new to me 93 1500. The PO seems to have neglected this job from the beginning. Whatdo I have to lookout for? Can I spray with a cleaner and rinse or is thereanotherway to prevent water damage to the electronics? What is the best method for doing this? I have read here not to take her to the car wash.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi Ding! My trike was pretty dirty when I got it home, and I washed mine, being careful not to blast everything with water. I used my air blower to blow the majority of the water off, and followed with a shot of CRC contact cleaner in the most accessable connectors. I had it clean as a pin. About 3 weeks later, I had to pull the side covers off, and the thing looked just as dirty as if I'd never washed it!!:shock: Moral of my story, wash it, be careful with the water, and don't expect it to stay nice and shiny clean under the tupperware!! Each time I do maint. I wipe the area down and that's about as far as I go with it. The outside surfaces is another story! I keep it spotless!! Welcome, and enjoy your new ride! Heck, these bikes are made to get wet, just don't blast it with any water pressure. jimsjinx:action:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hey dingdong, (I'm not going to ask about the name)as jimsjinx said it gets wet anyway,feel free. Whenever I pull the tuperware off I hand clean it. Including the belly, gets a lot of road grime down there. I use a lot of rags, you know the old T shirt collection being used for good things. I also put some silicon on the tabs behind the tuperware so I can get it off easy each time I do it. they have a tendency to brake after a while, and they are expensive to replace. You might want to add a safety device so as not to lose the side covers. Different people do it different ways, I have never worried about it, but then I have upper and lower wind deflectors (but then that is all another topic). So go ahead clean away. I spend about 4-6 yours on mine every couple of weeks. I enjoy doing it though.:clapper::action:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I have a friend who owns a Harley and it is always clean as a pin. I asked him how hw managed to keep the bike that clean. He said he used a degreaser/cleaner called "Bike Brite". He said you just spray it on a cold bike, let it set for a few minutes, (don't let it dry) and hose it off with a garden hose. I ordered some and will let you know how it works.

Bob

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

You know guys, I like a clean bike as much as the next person, but I have better things to do when the weather is nice besides cleaning my bike.:cool: I wash my bike several times a year, and always by hand, but I bought my bike to ride,so chances are if you see my out and about, its not going to be on a "spotless" bike, but I'm going to have a grin on my face as I ride by while you are cleaning yours!!!:action:

Cobra:15grey:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Just feel free and wash it by hand all you want nothing better than a clean bike, Just like you mentioned keep her out of the car wash. Have fun enjoy and always ride safe.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

wildmanwingrider wrote:
Just feel free and wash it by hand all you want nothing better than a clean bike, Just like you mentioned keep her out of the car wash. Have fun enjoy and always ride safe.
Car wash is not bad, it's the brushes that area killer. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.