Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just a friendly reminder to those who ride in the Fall & Winter in areas that get below freezing.

I almost always listen to the weather report in the morning before heading out for the day, and especially pay attention to the temperatures when there is a chance of a freeze.

On Monday this week the temperature was 32 degrees F when I left for work. The roads were mostly dry though, so there was no ice to worry about.

This morning they announced it was 39 degrees F, so I didn't even consider ice. The roads were wet because of rain on and off all day yesterday, so I was riding fairly conservative anyway. Good thing. When pulling out on the main arterial I got a little sideways, black ice. Put a pucker mark on my seat. :shock::dude: A hundred yards up the road on the shoulder, a lady was limping her v-twin bike along at about 2 MPH. I stopped and asked her if she was OK, and she said "ICE, WE'RE ON ICE" and said she was not sure she could make it and was looking for a place to turn around. Poor thing was scared to death. Nothing needed from me, so I went on to work riding even more causiously.

Just wanted to remind you all, watch for it even when you think it might be too warm for it.:):waving:

John

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Ice, and that pea gravel. Bad stuff for 2 wheelers. Thanks, John.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, just the thought of riding on ice nowadays gives me the rear puckers. I went down twice on ice in past years. I don't even want to think of doing it on a 'Wing. Idid ride on ice at -30F, used to do that with a Yamaha Trail bike on Bering Sea (actually Kotzebue Sound) ice, the stuff isn't all that slippery when good and cold.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Yeah Paul, be careful. You ain't as young as you once was. :cooldevil: John is still a youngster so his bones aren't as brittle.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,711 Posts
imported post

I used to ride my Yamaha DT1 250cc enduro on winter ice in the Texas Panhandle but that was back in the early '70s when I thought I knew everything :D

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Thanks John... good reminder.. and out come the ice stories:cool:

When age 14, in Ohio, we could legally ride scooters... so I rode my Cushman year round a couple years until I could get a car... when it got squirrley in ice and packed snow, I'd just put the boots out on the ice like outriggers... think it would work with a wing??:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Jim, I sure remember the "outrigger" days. My hips and knees wouldn't take that abuse today. But, some fun days. I remember the time we "borrowed" my next door neighbor's dad's 37 Plymouth and went out on a lake with it. Boy, what fun. Coming back, we got close to shore, and went thru. Not fun. Did we get in trouble for that one. The son is the one that took the car, at about 12 yrs old, and he got a licking for what seemed like an hour. But, I think it was about 30 secs. His name was Wally. ;)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
when it got squirrley in ice and packed snow, I'd just put the boots out on the ice like outriggers... think it would work with a wing??:cheeky1::cheeky1:
Only if you want your feet broken off and handed back to you. :dude:

My brother had a 350 Kawasaki enduro when I was in high school. I used to ride it all over the farm country I lived in, and had some fun out in the snow with it too. :)

Mike, that was mean, but funny. :D So I see in your profile it says 1800 and it's getting triked. Do tell my friend. :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I use to have a Yamaha DT100 enduro and rode it over a frozen river creek. I would ride at a pretty good speed, plant my feet on the ice and do 360s.

I had a Yamaha Special that I rode to college in the winter. Cruising down the interstate, I noticed my engine exhaustnoise was very slightly oscillating. I popped the clutch and spun the rear tire. Irealized I was on black ice.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I'd lost a job right before Christmas with two small children while putting my wife through college. I got a job interview in January but the car we had wouldn't make it. No problem, I'll take my '73 Kaw 900. Rode through one of our bad canyons following a snowstorm. The roads had been cleared, but when I got to the stoplight in the town at the other side of the canyon and tried to downshift, the clutch was frozen. Never figured out if it was the cable or the clutch itself, but I had to try to downshift and find neutral to stop. Turned around and headed home and by the time I got back through the canyon, things worked again. Had to borrow a friends car to get to the interview. I don't recall how cold it was, but it was DANG cold.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I was headed home from work in the mid 80's. Driving a city pickup truck as I was on call that week. Temp was right at the freezing point and it had been drizzling rain all day. The roads were ok when I left work. As I headed out the highway the roads apparently froze with a thin layer of black ice and I didn't know it. Driving along about 50mph and came to the top of a hill. I saw about half a dozen vehicles scattered around at the bottem and put on the brakes to slow down. I swear the truck actually speeded up! Wow, I see the vehicle I am going to hit is a very expensive looking conversion van. I was able to move off the road some into the grass and by pumping the brakes was able to get stopped about 5 feet short of a collision. That ice will sure sneak up on you if you aren't carefull....:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I used to own a Honda 350 Scrambler (1970) and me a friend with the same type of bike would drool whenever it snowed. We would run around town being flat track racers - it was major stupid, but what a hoot! We also did a lot of riding on ice back then, but you are talking about a bike that was about 500lbs lighter than a wing, and a 16 year old with a lot faster reflexes, and smaller brain!:dude:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OK boys break out another log for the fire...we gonna be telling ice stories till April or May....:cheeky1:...I guess I'm lucky enough to have hardly ever driven on alot of "black ice" living in south Texas, but the few times I have driven on it,It scared the pure water out of me....

One year we made this motorcycle rally and as anyone that lives here or has been here in Texas knows, you never try to predict Texas weather....We took our small tent, sleeping bags, and went on this ride that was , according to the weather man was going to be......Cool with overnight lows in the upper 40's ....day time highs in the lower to mid 70's.....Yeah sure.....We later found out this weatherman was new to the area.....( a Yankee, see PS below)....:shock:

Up at the crack of dawn Friday morningwe made the ride to where the rally was going to be held and set up our tent, opening to the south as usual.....Friday night at the camp fire we noticed that the temperature was dropping and instead of clear sky, it clouded over and began to come a misting rain, not too much just a light misting....Went back to our camp site, made sure that my motorcycle cover was secure.....And tried to get some sleep...Even with our sleeping bags zipped together, we were barely able to stay warm......

Crack of dawn my bladder won't let me sleep, and I need to go bad, put on boots grab light jacket, open tent flap, only to realize that it has came one heck of a snow over night....I thought thecamp areawas awful quite, there was about 6 to 8 in of snow on the ground....There were several riders up and had this huge bonfire going....Hot coffee and hot chocolate going along with eggs and bacon, at the hospitality tent......after taking one look at all this snow and the light snow still coming down, we ate breakfast, took our tent down, rolled everything up in plastic bags and decide to leave....

Now as Sandie said my boots became my "outriggers".....It's funny now how that ride home sticks in my mind...miles of country roads to get to the main highways, and evensome these roads hadn't been traveled much if any in places, just my tracks in the fresh snow......Several times that old Suzuki got "loosie goosie" on the rear and once we took a slide of about 15 to 20 feet with no control....but we never lost it....We made it home without dumping the bike , but scratch one pair of wellington boots, heels worn off using them as "outriggers".....God bless "Yankee" weathermen that try to predict Texas weather.....

Claude......

PS....One of our first local TV stations in the early 50's was in Galveston, Texas.... KGUL TV channel 11....One of that stations first weatherman was a Sid Lasher, and after that TV station moved to Houston, where it's now KHOU TV, Sid Lasher, upon retiring after many many years with channel 11,wrote a book on his early years as a weatherman for both KGUL, and KHOU TV ....In the preface he wrote that back in those early days there were only two types of people that would even "try" to predict Texas weather.....One was a "fool" and the other was a "Yankee"....When this new Yankee weatherman, ED Brandon of channel 2, first started with channel 2 news, the retiring weatherman presented Ed with Sid's book, which Ed immediately threw across the news room , on camera.....Everyone but Ed thought it was funny.....
:cheeky1:......

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Some tire outfit oughta come out with walnut shell or sawdust tires ! ;) :action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When I lived back in Ontario and was a much younger rider, I had a Yamaha IT 175(competition Enduro) that I would add 3/4" sheet metal screws to the knobs and then run her out on the trails/frozen lakes. It had really good traction in the snow/ice but was a real handful to keep under control on bare pavement. :shock:

I used to take my old GL 1000 out in Februaryevery now and then when the centre line was somewhat 'bare', riding in temps that were well below freezing, in a snowmobile suit. The 1st year/winter Iowned the GL, I rode it to the Inlaws(2+ hour ride)to put it away for the winter. I hit snow halfway there and there was2 1/2" - 3" on the highway by the time I got there. Had to slowdown pretty good for the corners. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

In the early seventies in Dublin I had an Ossa motocrosser on the road, pre MAR. It was really hairy in the wet as the front brake was a joke (I once ran up the back of a VW Beetle outside UCD on Earlsfort Tce in heavy evening traffic) but it was a joy to ride in snow and great for sliding around on ice. It would wheelie in first, second and third.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

My defining ice moment was many years ago (but still seems like yesterday) going over a bridge just before the exit slip road and found to my suprise I was no longer master of my destiny.

Since then I have ironed the pucker mark out of the seat and had a lot of respect for those freezing bridges.:shock:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Does the ice in my cup of tea in the cup holder count??? :baffled:

No mountains, no icey roads, no snow..

All we Floridians have to worry about is the folks fleeing from the ice and snow.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

And hurricanes, and lightning.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
And hurricanes, and lightning.
And Alligators.

The most serious thing we have to watch out for while riding though, is those dang girls out roller skating in their bikini's.

You just can't believe how fast you can loose control of a Goldwing when you come up unexpectedly on one of them. :shock: :cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.