Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went to a local Honda dealer(Evansville, IN.) to have a full service done yesterday. Had Honda full synthetic oil put in, new filter, & crush washer. All fluids checked, bolts, & fasteners checked. Checked the tire pressure, & figured I had too much air in them. On the way home, I thought the Wing was riding funny, & a little soft. When we got home, I checked the tires while they were warm, & the front only had 33.5 psi, & the rear had 37.0 psi. I can only imagine what it would've read, if the tires were cold. For those of you who have the service department take care of your Wing, check the tire pressure when you get home. Sure glad he didn't leave the oil level that low. :stumped:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Same thing happened when I got a new tire at my dealership.

All air guages are different and can vary by as much as 10 pounds.

Always check my air pressure before a ride.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Check your tires before you head home.............., lot's of things can be less than ideal, not your tires. :action:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I have several gauges. . .
No two measure the same pressure.
Gauge on the garage compressor is the most accurate.

A very-very long time ago, after having the service station do a
tire repair with "Freerotation and pressure test", I retested
the tires pressure at home. No 2 tires out of 4 were the same pressure.
Ever since then, I do my own. I don't trust someone
else's gauge filling the "WEAK LINK" on myvehicles.

Tire blowouts are way to common when the pressures are low.
They overheat, usually from from wrinkledsidewalls, and BLOW! = CRASH!

After thinking about what I have, I have way to many pumps and gauges.
Here's just a sampling. Double everything in the pix, I got too many toys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

I meant to check the tire pressure before I left, but time got away and didn't get around to it. I rode for two days with my son in the mountains, including the dragon. Handling was sub-par and the front tire began to scallop. I assumed it was probably the bearings in the steering and returned home planning to get them looked at.

A couple of days ago I finally got around to checking tire pressure- nearly half of what it should have been! Moral of the story: move lowly tire pressure up on the priority list...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

Hey FM,

How did you determine your garage compressor has the most accurate air pressure gauge?

I've long known the inconsistent nature of air pressure gauges but never really figured out how to test them against a control.

I just use the same one all the time not really knowing how accurate it is.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

freddyboy wrote:
Hey FM,
How did you determine your garage compressor has the most accurate air pressure gauge?
I've long known the inconsistent nature of air pressure gauges but never really figured out how to test them against a control.
I just use the same one all the time not really knowing how accurate it is.
In our town we have a collage to which they MUST HAVE a very accurate gauge otherwise they're tests are inaccurate. Some high schools will have an accurate gauge in there science class.

Itake my "Dial Whip Gauge" in to calibrate against theirs. It's off a few pounds but it's consistent. Consistent enough to calibrate my other gauges to.

Best part is,it's all free. I can afford that.

:action:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

Thanks FM.

Never thought about the college.

We have a community college with a good auto outfit. I'll swing in sometime.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

On the RARE occasion I WOULD take the bike to the dealer I let them know what the pressure should be and what I want it at.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I try to check my tires everyday before I ride if I can.
If I start a ride at 3AM, well then I don't check them in the dark LOL

Anyway I have a problem with my front tire, I air it up to 42psi and 1-2 days later it is 35psi. It seldom goes under 35psi though I left the wing sit about a week and when I checked it was about 25psi.
Nothing wrong I can find.

Just have to check regularly!

Air up to 42psi and it stays there all day riding though.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
I try to check my tires everyday before I ride if I can.
If I start a ride at 3AM, well then I don't check them in the dark LOL
Anyway I have a problem with my front tire, I air it up to 42psi and 1-2 days later it is 35psi. It seldom goes under 35psi though I left the wing sit about a week and when I checked it was about 25psi. Nothing wrong I can find. Just have to check regularly!
Air up to 42psi and it stays there all day riding though.
I might have found your problem. . . . :readit:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

LOL

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Didnt u change out that tire chromo? Is it possible that the valve core isnt down tight? check that big fella....

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Should be right, and it's a new stem also.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Should be right, and it's a new stem also.
AHHHH, fa'mouse (famous) last words. . .
"should be"

I've had several new stems come with slightly loose valves.
Time to soap-up the tire rim and stem.

Same for the rim.
Aluminum has a tendency to have voids, said floyds.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Chromo, if it's not that little mouse, then it's the seal of the rim or the valve, guaranteed.

Any pressure vessel that can't hold a steady pressure and there is no temperature up/down it has a minor leak. Take the wheel off with the tire and throw it in a swimming pool or big water container and look for a small leak...a bubble....a bubble....another bubble.

What I do is lower the pressure then squeeze the tire away from the rim and clean the tire, rim and then re-pressure to max side wall rating and test again 2 days later, if the same re-pressure to correct rating.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I'll have to pull my wheel again later and soak it looking for bubbles.
I've tried checking on the bike but such a slow tiny leak I'm not finding anything.

No bubbles on the core either, and the stem has a good cap with o-ring too so should be sealed there.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
I'll have to pull my wheel again later and soak it looking for bubbles.
I've tried checking on the bike but such a slow tiny leak I'm not finding anything.

No bubbles on the core either, and the stem has a good cap with o-ring too so should be sealed there.
Another possibility. . .
Maybe you have a defective tire?
Not unheard of to have a "poruss carcass".
Time to soap-up the tread and sidewall too.

Someone in shipping could have accidentally shot a packing staple into another package and pokedyour tire.

I had one tire in the 70's that oozed air out the sidewall. Took several minutes to see micro-bubbles.
Got good neighbors? :badgrin:It's near Halloween prank time.

GOOD LUCK finding the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.