Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got through flushing the radiator (had done professionally) and putting new seals on the water pump area.

I am thinking that with the temps here above 60F now, I could use water for a while. Is there any harm in doing so? Naturally, I would switch to anti-freeze in the cold weather, but how much hotter would the bike run in normal riding? (79 GL1000)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The reason to use anti-freeze is not just for ant-freezing properties. It also cuts down on corrosion, rusting, helps in cooling, lubrication of seals, etc. I'd say it's one of the worst things you can do for your bike, running straight water. My personal opinion.

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Boils too easily, too. Especially at altitude.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
The reason to use anti-freeze is not just for ant-freezing properties. It also cuts down on corrosion, rusting, helps in cooling, lubrication of seals, etc. I'd say it's one of the worst things you can do for your bike, running straight water. My personal opinion.

Raymond
also make sure that when you mix the antifreeze you use distilled water

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

edzinohio wrote:
Are you aware that you need to use silicate free coolant?
yup. i just thought that the "flushing" of the system would best be done by riding around with pure, distilled water for a while. I know that people who ride sport bikes do it a lot. supposed to reduce friction (and let you go faster - not applicable to a wing, of course:p)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Why take any chances? Yes you could run water in an emergency and as long as your cooling system stays pressurised, you could get by in a pinch. Like the folks said however, antifreeze(coolant) isn't just to keep from freezing, but raises the boiling point and helps keep corrosion at bay. If you're using tap water, you are putting calcium and other minerals into your system where they crud things up.

Buy some silicate free coolant ASAP and mix according to instructions and be done with it. I hope you haven't ran your bike much since you've had it flushed as you will undo what you paid to have done.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I had an old station wagon that had run tap water for who knows how long.

When I got the car I pulled almost 2 cups of rust and crud from under the freeze plug area inside the block. The radiator hoses USED to have a metal coil inside the hose to prevent collapsing. The water outlet on the top was paper thin, it even broke apart. All from using plain water as a coolant.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
edzinohio wrote:
Are you aware that you need to use silicate free coolant?
yup. i just thought that the "flushing" of the system would best be done by riding around with pure, distilled water for a while. I know that people who ride sport bikes do it a lot. supposed to reduce friction (and let you go faster - not applicable to a wing, of course:p)
Don't tell anyone but some of those sport bike riders are crazy....:cheeky1:I would not run it very long with only water some sort of electrolosis will occur with the metal inside the cooling system and engine and deposits and corrosion will follow.:shock:

:12red::cooldj:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Since the antifreeze also lubricates the waterpump, reduces dissimilar metal electrolysis, protects against corrosion, and acts as a wetting agent to increase the heat exchange across the coolant to metal interface, not to mention prevent the whole mess from boiling over, no... I can't see any reason not to use pure water, hell Henry Ford did it in the Model Ts. But as far as going faster by running pure water those sport bike buys aren't crazy, just ignorant!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
sanfelice, I'm not sure how running no antifreeze would reduce friction but a lot of those sport bikes run events on race tracks on the weekends & some tracks won't allow antifreeze to be used because of the track damage & possibility of laying down a slippery mix.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

twisty wrote:
sanfelice wrote:
sanfelice, I'm not sure how running no antifreeze would reduce friction but a lot of those sport bikes run events on race tracks on the weekends & some tracks won't allow antifreeze to be used because of the track damage & possibility of laying down a slippery mix.

Twisty
yes, this is probably the real reason. Naturally, they have made up some lore that it also reduces friction and helps them go faster.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Why not just put a smaller amount of coolant with the water and use that for the flushing period.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

englishted wrote:
Why not just put a smaller amount of coolant with the water and use that for the flushing period.
yes, Ted, that is what I have decided to do.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Never use plain tap water in the system, your looking for big trouble. :whip:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Never use plain tap water in the system, your looking for big trouble. :whip:
Nah, tap water's good, once you've had it in the rad for a few years it protects against leaks with all that lime buildup.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Nah, tap water's good, once you've had it in the rad for a few years it protects against leaks with all that lime buildup.
:( :stumped: :whip: :crying: :stumped: :X :gunhead: :whip:

:crying::18red::crying:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

My father worked for 38 years in the auto service supply world. I grew up being lectured on "Its a coolant as much or more than antifreeze!" It really does lubricate/cool/and protect against freezing. Don't want to pile on but - if you had this flush done professionally - how would you drain and refill with water by yourself?

Good luck :):):)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.