Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking of hauling a water filtration system of some sort that will do a good job of making pretty much any municiple water good to drink and "scum free". I use an RO system at home, but that's a bit cumbersome to lug around and I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the small backpack units. Has anyone had good success with something in between?

I guess the RO unit without pressure tank could be considered - has anyone done that?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Greg ... I've had very good sucess filtering water from the back country using a Katadyn Guide water filter while backpacking and have taken it with me on a few motocamping trips to treat suspect water sources.

While this filter works great for 1, or 2 people, I think in your case, you would be better suited using the Katadyn Base Camp. Just hang/fill it up and let it drain through it's ceramic filter.

Or the simplest solution, buy a gallon/3.8L of water at a gas station/grocery store, en route!

Dusty

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well u can buy gallon jugs of water for like 2bucks or just take water purification tablets

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I might end up just buying water on long trips. We live in a town without a community water system, and although our well water has always tested OK, Carol is sensitive to untreated water and has difficulty handling the high levels of manganese so we make and use RO water for drinking and cooking. There are a number of communities around here with treated water but it is very hard and even leaves a scum on tea. With our plans for some extended touring next summer, I'm just trying to find out if anyone has found reasonable alternatives to buying water for a couple that drinks quite a bit of tea, coffee and just plain old water.

Ken, that hanging bag thingy looks good for making a reasonable quantity of water in a short time with no fuss and muss, and MEC has agood price on it.

Thanks,

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Greg ...Here's a couple of other items you can get from MEC that are very handy for 'water management' while traveling and are compact as well, storing easily on the bike.

Seattle Sports Pocket Bucket

This is a great way to transport a lot of water back to your campsite to fill up that water filter, for cooking/drinking, washing dishes/bike, or for just general water storage at camp. It holds 12L/3.2 US gal and folds up to the size of a deck of playing cards. Works great, but when 2/3rds full or more,you have to set it down on a level, flat surface (picnic table seat, pavement etc.)or it will 'spill' it's contents

I carry it in one of my pockets under the rear speakers.

Seattle Sports Pack Sink

It folds flat for transport, holds 14L/3.7 US gallons, handles large dishes/pots with aplomb and is easy to empty/clean. You can also use it to soak your feet in after a long hot day on the bike. Very useful piece of kit which doesn't take up much space.

On my bike, I carry it in the door of my saddlebag, undermy rain jacket, which is in turn held in placeunder a saddlebag lid cubby net

Dusty

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

We have been known to carry a Brita filter pitcher on long trips in the past. It works prety well at removing odors and flavors from water. It would take up space so it might not be a good choice for morotcycle camping unless you have room in the trailer.

Perhaps one of the brita filter bottles would clean it up enough to be OK. For the price it might be worth a try.
http://www.brita.com/products/filtering-bottle/brita-bottle/

An RO system won't work very well without the tank. You might get enough water out of it but you are going to be waiting for it. I suppose with a storage jug of some sort it would work but then you are back to the same size as a filter pitcher.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

when my dad and i go camping out of town thats usually what i do is buy a couple gallons of water from the store and use it for drinking and cooking its a heck of alot easier we just buy it when we get close to the place were going to

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Doug.

My plan is to carry a 10 Litre jug in the trailer. The idea of something (like the bag idea from Ken) that I can fill with water and just let it drip to top up the jug while I sit around the evening campfire is what I'm really after. If that removes flavours and scum producing agents, then that's what I want. I'll look through to see if Brita has anything that's suitable, but the individual water bottles they have aren't what we're really after.

I don't plan to dredge a creek or dip a bucket into the lake for my water - hey, I'm riding a Wing, not hiking the Canada Trail :) Most town/city water systems give good water but I'm looking for something that will give me results similar to my home system.

We have the RO system at home and it's hard to beat the quality of the RO water. Yes, it's slow, but quite a bit faster with the booster pump and I can fill the 2.5 gallon pressuretank in under two hours. A major drawback in the field is that it has to be connected to a faucet. I guess it could have the source tube set into a tank of water, but that requiresusing the boosterpump and because the system only gives about 1/5 potable water I would have to have a large tank or run back and forth with tubs of water and I'm not looking for that sort of work while on holidays :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ha ha ha, if my wife gets wind of this thread she's sure to call me an old fool, and tell me to just go buy the water :)

peterbilt wrote:
when my dad and i go camping out of town thats usually what i do is buy a couple gallons of water from the store and use it for drinking and cooking its a heck of alot easier we just buy it when we get close to the place were going to

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Daryl,

I think Brita promotes their products to be used with treated water supplies and seeing that I plan to use water from regular sources, I guess that's OK. Like you said, not expensive so I could get one and try it out at my sister's place, where they have just about the worst water going, except for Virden Manitoba :)

Regards,

Daryl Martel wrote:
As mentioned previously, Brita filter jugs work well, and they're inexpensive too. I use this one at work... fits in the door of mini bar fridge well: http://www.brita.com/products/water-pitchers/slim/

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Well then by all means, stay clear of Marion, IL!!!!!!!! :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Hi Greg - yes, I'm with you on all this. Ugly tasting water not good. Brita filters or similar (my wife just had to buy a fancy German brand to replace the Brita we were using in our fridge) sure help, but can probably only do so much. I got ill once when bicycling the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) in Germany - a local biker asked why I carried so much water when you could drink from the mountain streams. Bad advice. Not sure if these kind of filter systems guard against that kind of thing - anyone know?

Getting seriously off topic: Where I grew up in Steinbach, they have am artesian well that goes down about 1000 ft. It's drawing on water from the aquifer flowing off the shield bedrock to the east - gorgeous tasting water in those parts. Just south of us (i.e. south of Winnipeg), the well water is salty! The communities are using water piped from the Red River (Yuck!) and Pembina Hills! You'd never think that, given Red River Valley prime farm land and all.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The Brita filter will not protect you from disease. It is only a Charcoal filter to improve taste. Doesn't remove any of the harmful 'nasties'.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

That's what I thought.

Seems that most of the town water systems are 'safe' but there can be flavours that take some getting used to. In which case a carbon filter should do the trick, but I do wonder how effective the systems are that have small carbon filters in them.

Many of the cheaper systems take out large viruses etc but let the little ones through and there isn't much carbon filtration. Our RO system has 2 pre filters, carbon filter, then the RO membrane and finally a carbon filter that polishes the water - pretty hard system to beat (except distillation). Now, if I could just find a smaller RO system thats good for trailer camping............

There's a long time until summer, so I'll keep looking, but my quest just may end up with me buying water each day. My wife is too polite to call me an old fool, but I'm sure you canimagine the conversation at home last night :)

Regards,

Dusty Boots wrote:
The Brita filter will not protect you from disease. It is only a Charcoal filter to improve taste. Doesn't remove any of the harmful 'nasties'.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

filter, boil, boil again and let cool

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I've been in touch with Aquasafe http://www.aquasafecanada.com/ , (bought my first RO system from them) and with a little modification I can get the home system to work in my trailer. Actually the mods are quite simple - use a faucet adaptor with a 1/4" outlet for on a faucet or drop it into a bucket of water, and replace the pressure tank with a water jug to save space and weight. However, they are coming out with a portable RO unit on Dec 10, so now I wait :)

There is a portable unit on the market from another company, but it's only 3-stage and is over 300 US$ which is more than I want to pay.

Buying water is viable (for me) on short trips, but when I plan to be away for 30 days and more, I think I might like the idea of having high quality water 'on tap' at the campsite. Cost effective? Probably not :)

Regards,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.