Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking at buying an 86 Aspencade. The owner tells me that he was having problems with coolent in the oil. And it was smoking bad.

He replaced the water pump. Still has same problem.

Any ideas as to what it might be.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Well, the coolant in the oil could be caused by a several possible things - bad water pump, bad O-rings inside the front (transmission) case, a blown head gasket....

You said it smokes a lot. If the smoke is white and if it smells sweet then most probably a blown head gasket(s). Not a big deal to replace. Check for any bubbles inside the radiator/overflow tank while the engine is running. If you see them it confirms a blown head gasket.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Forgot to mention, if it appears that a head gasket is blown, the engine shold not be run any more until it's fixed! Runningthe engine with a blown head gasket could seriously damage it.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I would be cautious...........if coolant has been in the oil for any amount of time there could be internal bearing damage. As already mentioned replacing head gaskets is not a hard job so if you can find out how long this problem has been going on and if it has been a relatively short time you should be ok...........then again it would depend on the asking price

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

First of all "Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Gold Wing Forum"....Now there is a member that lives where you live and his name in the forum is "Wichita Scorpion"..give him a bump on a PM and tell him where that Wing is and I'll bet you a donut that he will go with you and give that Wig a good looking over, probably for the total cost of a cup of coffee.....He's a really good guy, has lots of experience with Wings and is a daily rider.....Give him a shout before you buy that Wing....

Claude....

PS ..if you do buy it and can get it up and running before April there is going to be a Meet & Greet in Llano Texas the weekend of April 3rd, 4th, and 5th ...

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the vote of confidence, redbaron. My son and I can go with fltrnrider to check the bike.

PM sent to fltrnrider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.