Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just found about a quart of water in the left side box. I have ridden in the rain
recently but have never had a problem with leakage before. The weather stripping has a small bent spot in the lower front corner, but that seems like a lot of water to have come from there. I removed the tool kit and dried everything out. Don't see any other spots water could have gotten in from. Side box was off recently, when I had the bike in the shop, but looks to be put back properly, lines up, opens and shuts ok.
I am going to try to fix the rubber strip, or replace it. Has anyone done this? What kind of glue should I use? Superglue would be a bad choice if I ever needed to get it off. I am going to try to find the availability of the seal and the pricing.
The box on the other side is dry. The wet box is on the side stand side, so water would run that way. Sometimes I have to park the bike outside, but mostly is lives in a garage.

Help

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

do you still have the rubber patch covering the hole that accesses the brake bleeder. if it is missing water can get through it while riding in the rain.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Good question on what type of glue to use. I have a seal in my trunk coming loose, and I was wondering what would be best. So I'll be watching this thread.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I don't know, I'm not sure where it is supposed to be. Going to look.
Do you see it Here?

It looks like the bottom weather strip is Part #12 SEAL (15MM)
75826-634-300 008 $1.86 can that be right?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Check the service bulletins.

It's service bulletin #4, May89 , available from goldwingdocs.com. It calls for part number 81387-MT2-700 as an upgrade and talks about removing both lid side and bag side seals to replace with only the new lid seal.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If you're looking for the weather stripping seal, I believe it is part # 50 (actually now part #52)

# 52 - RUB, SADDLEBAG SEAL - 81354-MN5-010 (replaces81354-MN5-000) - $12.45

but I would check that the large inspection hole plug that Larry eluded to, is there, alolng with seeing that all other attachment points are weather tight, including a tightly closing lid (no gaps)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Copied from the ad at the bottom it says some of the early years didn't have the hole, so maybe yours doesn't have it.

GL1500 Saddlebag Inspection Hole Plug
Price:
$2.50
Item: CM1010
Details:
This is a saddlebag plug. This is designed to plug the inspection hole in the left saddlebag where the brake bleeder is. The cover from the factory is glued on and is difficult to remove and re-glue each time you bleed the rear brakes. This plastic plug is reuseable and will fit all Goldwing 1500's that have an inspection hole. Some of the earlier years did not have the hole.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Plug appears to be in place. Any ideas on the glue? Do they still make rubber cement?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

3M makes a weatherstrip cement
or Superglue it

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Would good quality (3M?) double sided tape do the job?..also, have you run some water from a hose around the lid to make sure it is the seals causing the leak?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Got to go buy the glue. After that part is done, I'm going to put the bike in the garage at night with the lights off and shut a flashlight inside. If I can see any light getting out then that will show me where water can get in. That seems like a lot of water to me.
Will update tomorrow.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

There are supposed to be two small drain holes in the bottom.
Maybe those are plugged up?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
3M makes a weatherstrip cement
or Superglue it
I would use the weatherstrip cement. It is made to hold weatherstipping in place and works very well. It is a type of contact cement.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

A friend who works on airplanes told me to look for "elephant snot".
So googling finds This link.
Mud's 3M strip caulk looks good Here
I think what I want is 3m yellow adhesive. 3M
Can buy online Here or at Amazon.
I did not want to wait so I just got the black 3M stuff from PepBoys.
It works ok, but the tube does not come with the long thin applicator cap like
similar products. Was a little hard to get it just where you want.
Seems to have fixed the problem. Passes flashlight test and water hose test.
Haven't tried to drive home in pouring rain yet.

My model does not seem to have the saddlebag inspection hole. So Newday777 is correct that some of the early models do not have that hole.

I also don't have any sign of ever having drain holes. I don't think I will try to drill any now, but will try to look and see where they are on my buddy's bike.

As a final question, for Dusty Boots, or anyone, I have seen a bike where the saddlebag
would shut, but there was a gap at the top front, big enough so you could drop change into the saddlebag without opening it. The bike was way newer than mine (1999?) and
had less miles, but I did not buy it. So how does that happen and how would you fix it? Bent hinges? My bags both seem to be lined up properly, but inquiring minds...

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Bent hinges is possible,,,,, but there is an amount of adjustment to the lids. If you look closer you'll see how the holes are slotted on the hinge brackets.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yes, Dave is correct.

All your saddlebag/trunk lids have 'striker plates' that areadjustable. They have two screws that you can loosen/tighten to allow for that.

When at NASSIR 3 in Hamburg, while doing some work on Hawggy's bike, I fixed his badly fitting trunk lid, by adjusting the striker plates. They were wildly out of whack, from the PO I assume :shock:

A bent hinge is another definite possibility, as to why the other bike's saddlebag lid was ill fitting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.