Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
I have very slight oil leak from the waterpump housing drain hole after a long run?

Any ideas whats wrong or what the fix is?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Christy, I'm afraid it's the start of water pump failure. The Goldwing pumps can fail early if you use coolant that contains silicates, or of course yours may just be expiring from old age. You will find that the pump will seep slowly for a very long time (usually a few months/few thou miles) before the drip becomes a flood.
It's a good half days work fitting a new one.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank's for the reply Jason. Might see you on the Lough Derg run on the 1st of August.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Your oil leak is caused by a WORN oil seal. It has nothing to do with what kind of

anti-freeze you use. Your water pump is probably just fine. I have a 1977 Wing and am fighting that problem right now - 72K miles.

(Waiting for the seal).

Another oil leak will be the seal on the shifter rod. The oil seals are not too expensive, getting them is the problem here. The shifter seal is VERY easy to replace, you can do it in about 1/2 hour. Good luck!

B. J. Baum

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You can't get the seals for the water pump here, it's a whole pump or nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Those seals aren't easy to replace. The ones I've had go had the seals give up because the shaft had wobbled on the worn bearings. The new seals lasted about two weeks!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I have been dripping a drop here and there of coolant for about a year...ever since I got my 83 Aspy. I changed the coolant to silicate free and I have a new waterpump and seal kit in my basement....waiting to get motivated to change it.

My coolant level stays pretty steady though..so not a bad leak

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Talking to bike mechanics, they all seem to agree that its usually the bearings that go first and then the shaft wobbles around, making it impossible for the seal to get a snug fit. So you get the drops of coolant on the ground.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Hello,

I had the same experience with my 1981 Goldwing GL1100. I bought it after it was sitting in a unheated garage for 2 years. In addition to gummed up carbs, frozen brakes, dead battery, and burned up starter, it leaked a water/oil combo from the weep hole. Mind you there was a substantial amount leaking - even amounts of water and oil.

I ordered a waterseal repair kit from JC Whitney which includes all of the o-rings and gaskets that are replaced when installing a new waterpump and or removing the front cover. At this point I had no clue as to the nature of the problem, I was just hoping that this would fix the problem.

I installed all of the new parts, filled up the radiator and watched a steady stream of Texaco DexCool come out of the weep hole.Upon taking everything apart again I discovered the following:

The o-ring that goes around the water pump and fits in the groove (about 1.5" in diameter) was leaking profusely. Upon examination I noticed that there was a low spot on the o-ring . By this I mean I could run my finger over the spot and the top of the o-ring was flush with the waterpump surface. This is where the antifreeze was pouring through. Just to confirm my findings, I tried the old o-ring and the low spot was still in the exact same location.

After pondering this for a while I got the idea to load the groove in the pump up with teflon tape (the white tape that plumbers use for preventing leaks) and reinstall the new o-ring. When I pushed the water pump into the hole in the housing I could tell that there was now a tight seal because it took more effort to push it in.

I reinstalled everything again and no leaks. The oil leak was cured by the smaller o-ring that fits on the other side of the pump and is the only seal between the oil and water jackets.

The water pump was fine - just to make certain I blew about 50psi thru the small hole on the water pump - where it leaks when the seal goes bad - and there was no air escaping.

I do know for a fact that the guy I bought the bike from used Prestone - with silicates -when he last changed the coolant. This may have been part of the problem.

Hope this helps - feel free to email me with any questions about this as I am quite proficient with it after fixing this problem.

Regards

J M Wolfe
North Royalton, OH
http://www.northroyalton.net

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Thats interesting JM. I did my water pump (put a new one in) a few years back and had a problem with that ) ring as well. I ended up getting a slightly fatter one from an engineering shop and that worked. It took a afir effort to push the pump back in so I rubbed grease all around the area and that made it easier. No leaks since.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

JM,,

This is Ed from Columbus. Did you replace your waterpump or did the new seals and teflon tape do the trick?

I have a new waterpump and seal kit sitting in a box and my waterpump is always damp at the weep hole, but the level stays fairly steady. Previos owner had coolant with silicates in it.

Are you saying I should "upgrade" one of the seals or O rings when I get around to this project?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Ed,

I did not change the water pump as it was not leaking and functioning normally - the air pressure confirmed this for me.

You really will not know the cause of the leak until you get in there and have a look. However, if you are going in to have a look it would be a good idea to buy the JC Whitney kit and replace the gaskets and o-rings regardless.

The problem could very well be the water pump seal leaking slowly. You would come to this conclusion by checking the small hole at the bottom of the pump. If there is coolant in there then the pump is leaking. On mine the hole was dry indicating no leak. I believe the waterpump is a fairly expensive item and there is no official rebuild kit available. However, there are instructions on how to rebuild one yourself for a fraction of the cost - I will post the link if I find it. However, here is a good write up covering the removal and replacement process:

http://www.classicwingclub.org/gallery/finn/

Like I stated before, if the pump is OK and you are leaking coolant, then you can be about 99% certain that the leak is o-ring related. Check for a low spot on the large o-ring in the groove of the pump as that is the probable entry into the area where the coolant can reach the weep hole. All of this will become apparent to you when you perform the job. It is not difficult - just take your time. Read the write up in the link I posted - it is good. As FitzAl stated he had the same problem that I had so it might be kind of common.

Are you leaking any oil from the weep hole? There is only one place that that would be getting by - another o-ring - and another post if that is the case time for bed....

Hope this helps

Let us know

J M Wolfe

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Thanks for all the information JM,

By the way, I got a new water pump and all the seals for $100, I have just not installed it yet. I would think all the new seals and O rings in that kit should solve my slow drip which is just coolant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.