Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I replaced the water pump on my 1981 GL1100I just in time as the seal failed on the pump as did the oil seal for the oil pump drive shaft that drives the water pump . I also had a noise from the bike when I would let off the gas , now I know it was the water pump as you can hold the base of the pump and the shaft moves back and forth(both bearings were bad). I wanted to put some pictures on herebut could not paste or up load to this site , not sure why.

Any waythe job too me about 4 hours to complete ,(not a bad job)with new waterpump , seals and gaskets also Honda antifreeze.

My wife and I went out for a 100 mile trip yesterday(3/21/09) as a shake down run with no leaks or problems, thank you Jesus.

I would like to thank all of you that answered my call for help and where to find a water pump at a good price.

Thanks again .

sonny

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've changed about three waterpumps on these machines and gotta say it's a PIA type job, not particularly difficult. Much harder on the 1000s with those stupid Phillips screws instead of the hex head bolts on the 1100s. It takes half the time with the hex bolts since you don't have to get an impact driver on a bunch of fouled up Phillips heads. I had to drop a 1000 engine half an inch just to get a straight shot at the top row of screws. One think to be careful about, as you apparently have, is to make sure the neutral switch is properly engaged to the yoke on the transmission on the later 1100s.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.