Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all, I am doing my water pump on my 1980 gl1100 and have every thing apart except can't get the pump out of the cover. I have removed the three bolts but the pump is frozen in the cover. Anyone had this problem before. All replies welcome. Thanks, Dwight

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Get a piece of pipe (pvc will work) that just clears the pump on the back side and is a few inches long. Balance the housing on the pipe ang use a punch or rod as close to the center of the pump as you can get from the front side and give it a good rap with a hammer. A little heat to the case will help, just hot enough that you can't touch the case. Or get someone with a press to help. Be carefull with the new o-rings when reassembling, plenty of vasaline.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Hello goldwingnut and thanks for your reply. I wondered about heat but did not want to warp the cover. I work at a place that has all kinds of presses which I am the lead person. I thaught that if i could not get it out at home that I would take it to work and press it out. I just wanted to get it put back together this weekend but I can wate one more week. Thanks, Dwight

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Well I brought my transmission cover to work this morning and had to use a 75 ton press to get the water pump out. It had so much crap around it it never would have come out without a press. Anyone know a good way to clean the cover? I thought about taking it to a radiator shop and ask them about cleaning it. Dwight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.