Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weep hole is not weeping so I stuck the end of a zip tie in there and it came out with what looked like grease on it. While I had the radiator off and the kill switch off I bumped over the engine and the pump does spin it wobbles but it spins. I can move it up and down and side to side.

What I would like to know is this pump bad or going bad? Can I still ride until new parts come in?

As I understand it the pump blades should not wiggle or spin by hand with the engine off. Is that correct?

·
everyday member
514 Posts
Yes that is correct. You should replace the pump asap. Riding it until the new parts come in is your call. If I didn't need it I would wait.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the water pump out nasty in there got some thick sludge on the bottom even at the weep hole. Thought I'd get every thing cleaned up while I wait for parts.

Is there any thing else I should check while I'm in there ?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Is there any thing else I should check while I'm in there ?
Unless you're having problems with the gear indicator switch there's not much else to check.

Just make sure you change every gasket, o-ring and the oil pump seal while you're in there. If you're buying an aftermarket gasket kit all the pieces should be there. If you're buying from the Honda dealer good luck on getting all the pieces the first time as they're spread out over three or more pages in the parts book and the dealer likely has no clue what you need.:sadguy:

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the gasket kit and an oem pump. Now I'll try to get stuff clean so I can put it back together when the parts come. I see the oil pump is there but I haven't had the oil light coming on and I'm just going to assume it is fine.

when I opened the cover there was quarter size flat chunks of oil in a grease like state. I can see sea foam and extra oil changes in the future.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I ordered the gasket kit and an oem pump. Now I'll try to get stuff clean so I can put it back together when the parts come. I see the oil pump is there but I haven't had the oil light coming on and I'm just going to assume it is fine.
The oil pump seal has nothing to do with oil pressure. It's there to prevent oil from pushing through the water pump bearings and leaking out the weep hole so change it as it's in the kit.
The last thing you want to do is to go back in there again.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I think I may try some of that gasket softener on that gasket those pins didn't want to come out so I couldn't use my glass with 1000 grit to clean the mating surface like I did the other side. Mostly cleaned up and waiting for parts.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it all back together. No leaks. went for a ride all seems good except when I decelerate the right side is chirping (wife though it sounded like a buzzing) I think I must have bumped the shim when I replaced the head gasket. I guess I'll re shim it sometime.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I treat waterpumps on these bikes like I treat the timing belts: any doubt, change it out.

Glad to see another owner doing the job.

Please note that if you purchased an aftermarket gasket kit there is a chance that the gasket that goes between the front cover and the impeller cover will start to leak. The Honda gasket has a sealer on it, where the aftermarkets do not. A little RTV will solve the problem if you have one. I have had them leak right away, and others take a few days, but all of THAT aftermarket gasket leaked on me. The rest of the aftermarket gaskets and seals were fine.

BTW: Do you still have your old pump? If so, can I get it from you?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure you can have my old one if you'll pay the shipping. I guess you'd like to rebuild it. I don't have a press to do that. PM your address.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.