Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently I replaced my timing belts and did a lot of other work on my 86 aspy. Runs great and all but a lot of times I will hear some squealing from the front of the engine. Seems to quiet when I rev engine. Mostly noticeable when sitting idle. It sounds like the squealing a car makes when water pump is going bad. Just not sure if it is that or the timing belts may be not be tight enough. The engine does not get hot or leak anti-freeze so I need to know if there is anyway I can test to see if it's the water pump or does the timing belts squeal when not tight enough.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Usually if your water pump is going, you will get some seepage of oil or antifreeze from the weep hole under the front cover. My timing belts on my bike squeeked when I had them too tight. It could also be a bad tensioner. You may have to get down there and listen with a stethoscope to hear exactly where the sound is coming from. You can also use a large screwdriver. Place the handle to your ear and place the other end on different places on the front cover to see where the noise is coming from.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You may find it is the timing belt tensioners squealing, from being too tight. I've never heard of a Goldwing water pump squealing. Not saying it can't happen, I've just never heard of it before.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I agree with Norm.. sounds like tensioner bearings

but I would differ concernig the tightness issue.. good tensioners will not squeel regardless of tension... however, wornout tensioners subjected to increased load will make themselves known with all kinds of complaining...

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Just to throw this in, the new belts could be humming also. Mine did that for a while then I guess they stretched a little and don't hum anymore. But more than likely it's one or both of the tensioner bearings complaining...

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

Yes it could be harmonics coming from the new belts, when I installed new belts, the noise, sounded like a new tensioner was failing.

It is caused by the timing wheels, being slightly worn, and the new belts, not quite seating properly. belt oil, will help, but the noise will diminish in time as the the new belts bed in.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have driven it probably close to 1000 miles since replacing belts. Should that be enough time for them to stretch and get broken in? I would assume that if it's bearings in the tensioners that it will get noiser? I have a couple nice days to ride this week and will probably check it out this weekend.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

When you put the belts on did you push on the tensioners or just let the spring do the tension? Pushing will be too tight.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

hondavidson wrote:
(1)I have driven it probably close to 1000 miles since replacing belts. Should that be enough time for them to stretch and get broken in? (2)I would assume that if it's bearings in the tensioners that it will get noiser?
(1) Yes and (2) Yes

On (1), I've heard it said here that timing belts don't stretch, but my experience is that even if installedrather tightly, they will self adjust rather rapidly to a comfortable acceptable fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.