Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, and glad to be here. Finding this site couldn't have come at a better time....I have a GL1100 (81) that my mechanic (whom I trust implicitly) has diagnosed the issue as being water pump impeller bearings - as in,need to find them (quickly, preferrably, not all the money I own, preferrably).Just to short-circuit any secondguessers, I'm looking at the bearings now, (and the water pump). The bearings were swimming around the crankcase, under the water pump cover.

Can't find part numbers (yet) for the bearings, either. That'd probably be helpful, too.

Any help would be very gratefully accepted. Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. If you use the search function over on the lower right type in water pump bearing . There are a few differant numbers. I tried to link it but didnt work. Good Luck JB

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info, and the welcome. Things have changed, now looking for rebuilt water pump. Buuuut, definitely 'preciate the feedback. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Hi,
I replied to your earlier message, but I doubt you'll find a rebuilt pump. I foudn a new pump for my 84 aspy for 118 bucks. I'll see if I can find the site I ordered it from.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Got it from cyclepartswarehouse.com
pump was 113.86, shipping 11.78, total 125.64.
Hope this helps.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the info - - y'all here are really wonderful. Can't tell you how much the free exchange of info makes me feel - it's almost like family! :)

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

I personally haven't verified the following info but, I am planning on looking into this next time..... as an option to rebuild the pump rather than buy a new one. Don't know what the price difference would be either.

Parts needed:

v (1) Water pump gasket and o-ring set Ø (1) Front Cover Gasket 11391-371-306 Ø (1) Water Pump Cover Gasket 11396-371-306 Ø (1) Water Pump O-Ring 91356-706-000 Ø (1) Water Pump O-Ring 91305-KT7-003 Ø (2) Front Cover O-Rings 91312-371-013 v (1) Mechanical Seal (from a Honda CX500 Turbo) 19217-657-023 v (1) Mechanical Seal C/R 3952 v (2) Shaft Bearings 6000 2RS

NOTE: The bearings and one seal (C/R) 3952 are not available from Honda; you can get these from your local bearing distributor. The bearings are fairly common ones and will most likely be on the shelf. The seal on the other hand is not a common one and may need to be ordered. Every o-ring is available from either the Honda dealer or any auto parts house (if you?re lucky). I would recommend the dealer as the o-rings are metric and not every auto parts house carries a full selection of metric. The following is a recounting of my experiences and yours may be different. The bike has no body panels and due to this I am unaware if it is necessary to remove any body panels to complete this task.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

If anyone's looking for bearings, here's the place to look. I had to replace the bearings in my pool pump this year and I bought 10 bearings for what 2 would have cost at an online pool store. I'm sure they have anything we could need.They ship fast and I was extremely pleased with them.
Jim(inSC)
http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Aw, man....don't know where you came up with those part numbers, but I've been looking all over for them. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the info on the bearings. Discovered that Auto Zone (a local automotive store) has the bearings for C-H-E-A-P. Gonna file that URL away for the future. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The seal is made by U.S. Seal # ps 162. I found the seal here at a local pump supplier. The bearings are by timken # 100cc.

.Big O-ring for pump-body #91356-706-000 (56 x 2.4 mm)
..Smaller O-ring for pump-body #91303-283-000 (91303-KT7-003)(37.2 x 2.3 mm)

.Mechanical seal (part of it still on the collar)
You can get this from Honda; (it's a CX500 Turbo part)
Part number #19217-657-023
..Bearing. In the artichle they a designated 6000 2RS. Should be available from any bearing shop. (The original are designated 6000 LU)

Also you can buy a rebuild kit for this guy..$25..
"Rainer Pröbstl" ([email protected]) he'll send you a kit..I got one from him!!! A little more but no driving around to get stuff...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

The only problem with rebuilding a pump is the plastic impeller. I would have rebuilt mine but the impeller was so brittle and aged it fractured into several pieces when I attempted to gently remove it and the shaft from the pump. Also, the bearings were so bad they had siezed and the shaft was buggered beyond repair. Hopefully yours isn't that bad. The new, Honda replacement pump had a metal impeller so a rebuild is certainly possible next time. Good luck with whatever you do, and thanks RB for the parts list!
Jim(inSC)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.