Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went down the road today and smelled anti freeze. Brought Oldwing back home and sniffed like a blood hound til I found the source.....weep hole leaking.

I know I need a pump........how much are they and is it something a rookie mechanic can do?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Not sure how much the pump is in the USA, but it's not a huge job. The front cover has to be removed from the engine (radiator out first), but if you can replace timing belts yourself then doing the pump won't be any harder.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Not sure how much the pump is in the USA, but it's not a huge job. The front cover has to be removed from the engine (radiator out first), but if you can replace timing belts yourself then doing the pump won't be any harder.
Uh..........might be a huge job for me!!!
I guess it would be a good time to replace the timing belts while I'm in there huh?

What's involved in removing the radiator?

Looks like Oldwings gonna be down for a while.:X

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Oldwang,

It's not that hard of a job. Just make sure you keep track of where the bolts go since there are three or four different lengths. When I removed mine (83 Aspencade) it was leaking oil from the weep hole. A gasket/seal kit cost me about $19.00 at the dealer. I thought about replacing the water pump while I was there but it was another $120.00 or so. For that much I think you get the gasket and seal kit with it.

The worst part about the whole job was removing/installing the radiator! Not a whole lot of room to get your fingers in and reconnect the hoses! The only other time consuming task was removing ALL the old gasket material.

If your 81 is like my 83 you don't need to remove the timing belt covers, but it would be a whole lot easier to do it then if you want to change the belts.

Good luck :waving:

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

oldwang wrote:
BRowan wrote:
Uh..........might be a huge job for me!!!
I guess it would be a good time to replace the timing belts while I'm in there huh?

What's involved in removing the radiator?

Looks like Oldwings gonna be down for a while.:X
I guess it depends on what you are used to doing. To some people, changing spark plugs or brake pads would be a big job and we have no idea what you consider a big job. A "rookie mechanic" should be able to do this, using a workshop manual for reference is a good idea. Using timing belts as a comparison is a good idea as it's the same stripdown procedure to get access. I'd be doing timing belts while I was there, there will be no better time to do it.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I've seen prices fom 100.00 to 130.00 dollars for the pump. I also saw a kit you can purchase to rebuild the water pump. Is this something that I should look into or just go ahead and get the new pump and be done with it. I think the kit had all the seals and o-rings needed for a complete overhaul of the pump.

I have a couple of mechanic friends that can assist me if I get into trouble........it won't go to the shop for this.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

I personallly prefer a new pump. I put a new pump (among other things)in my 1200 at Christmas. Since then I managed to dismantle the old pump and found that the part where the seal sits was corroded. Even after cleaning I doubt if it would have sealed very well for too long.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Considering the amount of work involved in getting to the water pump, I'd say go for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

It just might be a seal....

Kyle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's winter, take a look at the old pump and then decide whether to replace or reseal. I'd probably replace the whole shebeen since it's a minor pain to get at not to mention that if you replace the old seal and the leak is still going, then you'd have to put out some cash and effort again.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I'll put a new pump in just to make sure I won't have to do it again. Next week I'm going to tear it down and then I'll know. Wish me luck!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Just purchased my '82 GL1100, came to this site and am impressed at the shared knowledge. I have read various, somewhat contradicting advice however. Among other things, I have heard is that a bad seal or o-ring in the water pump would cause oil to be coming from the weep hole, rather than water. I am looking at water coming from weep hole and hope to find proper diagnosis. Could it be that all I need is a seal kit?

Thanks for any help!!!

Also, wheredo Iget the best price forthe waterpump in the U.S.???

Touring soon in the Bluegrass State....Goad

[/i]

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I changed my pump a while back http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/970.htmlrefers.

The radiator was a bit tricky to get out - after that everything was reasonably straight forward. What I didn't do (and wish I had) was to renew all the bolts at the same time. The cost is minimal. In the event I was lucky and the old ones were pretty good. For me the difficult bit was in making sure the casing faces were clean and free of old gasket.

It certainly makes sense to change the cam belts while you're about it if only because you can see what you're doing!

Good luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Net, Goadsgoldwing!:waving::waving:

I'd recommend first getting a copy of Clymers for your bike. A lot of jobs that seem daunting aren't all that bad if you have sufficient information. The pictures will help a log. As for what to do about it bearing in mind my experience only goesto the 1200 and 1500 Goldwing, the pump will have to be pulled out and inspected, if the pump shaft and it's innards don't appear corroded or sloppy you probably can get away with replacing the seal. Pulling the pump requires removing the lower fairings and the radiator. When you remove the radiator the easiest way, at least on the 1200 is to take the hose attachment piece off the front of the pump without removing the radiator hose, loosen the hose clamp on the lower end of the top radiator hose, remove the lower nuts on the radiator, on the 1200 the top is just held by rubber blocks in a channel and just drops down, leave the top hose on the radiator and pull the hose off the engine end. Disconnect the fan connector and any other connector you find on the radiator. After that it's just a matter of removing the front cover over the pump and pulling the pump. As the other guys said, it's a good time to check the timing belts. If you need more info on that do a search in the box at the top of the page on 'timing belts' lots of discussion on that here. As for replacing the pump, they do run from $100-130 depending. Seal kits run around $30 or so if I remember right. Once you have the experience of removing the pump you can more easily make the decision about replacing seals or the pump. If you found the job reasonably easy just go for a seal kit from Bike Bandit or some other vendor, if it seemed like a lot of work, replace the whole pump.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
It just might be a seal....

Kyle
Yes - this is very possible as I found out last summer when mine was leaking oil/water combo out the weep hole. I went and priced water pumps and was almost ready to buy a new one when I decided to investigate before buying it. Turned out the pump was fine and it was the large oring was allowing water to pass by. If you want the whole story you can find it in the search. I posted the entire ordeal there last summer.

Worth checking before spending $130 IMHO. Your pump may be fine...

Take care

JM Wolfe

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I purchased my water pump from Service Honda for $98. Make sure you get all the needed gaskets. I believe it was 2 orings on the pump and 2 gaskets. One for pump cover and one for transmission cover. There might have been an oring on the transmission cover as well. They have a great breakdown of parts. Also the Clymer manual said to remove snap ring toremove thepump. My 83 had 3 bolts in the pump that had to be removed before the pump would come out. Also I did mine with the radiator still installed. But mine had bolts on the transmission cover already. It's a simple job. Good Luck.

Billy

http://www.servicehonda.com/test/index.htm

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I just ordered a water pump for my GL1200 from westernhonda out of scottsdale, az...phone number 4809948400...it was $105.87 and shipping is free

I found a gasket kit on ebay for $25

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:action: i`ll second the western honda. treated me ok. wayne:11red:

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

I found a gasket kit at www.partsnmore.net At the moment western honda might have the best price on the water pump. The seal and gasket set that is being offered does not include the impeller seal.

For a little trouble shooting remove the bottom water hose and the water pump cap after draining the coolant. check to see if you have any movement in the impeller. If you do you need to replace the water pump. If you have a brown fiber impeller then you have got an original water pump[the replacements are steel].

From my own experence rebuilding the water pump youmay have some difficulty in finding the impeller seal[Honda has never offered it otc] My water pump rebuild is now waiting replacement because it has started to weeping also.

The water pump can leak either coolant or oil or combo of the 2.But if you want the whole sheebang lesson look it up in my profile. Litfuse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.