Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having gone to all the trouble of replacing the head gaskets on my GL1100, I find the cause of the water in my oil was the water pump :crying:

I've no idea why water didn't leak out of the drain hole but having removed the front cover, the sight of a chewed seal and antifreeze where the oil should be has confirmed it.

So, I need a new water pump and seal kit. In the UK, this is going to cost. I was wondering if any of the stateside posters knew what these bits would cost over there and a dealer who would be prepared to mail them. Even after shipping and the potential of duty I can probably save money.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Graham.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Is it the small seal between the outer cover and the engine? These often fail when fitted improperly (get pinched). Or is it the seal around the outer part of the pump?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Englishted,

The picture would make it clear but it's too big to post here. It's the seal around the drive shaft. It could be due to wear (the bearings are shot) but it has a strange oval shape. I've a nasty feeling that it's been out before as all the bolts except one came out very easily - too easily when you consider they could have been there for 23 years. I bought the bike a year ago as a tlc project.

MR. 1200

Many thanks. I've sent them an e-mail asking for prices. The gasket kit looks reasonable assuming it's the right one. I'll keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Brojees,

Many thanks for that link. They look to be the cheapest yet.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hi Graham

Try http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk as an alternativesupplier he has a Genuine Honda water pumps advertised forsale @ £69 + postage, for the 1100.

Tel 01728 833020.

I purchased an air filter fromhim on line, came two days later to the IOM, and it was £5 cheaper than our Honda shop.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Sabre is an hour and half from me it turns out, so the link was good for myself as well. Now I know where I can ride to to look myself.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Manxblackcat,

Dave Silver would be my normal port of call but I thought came out expensive as you also have to add VAT to that plus all the gaskets seals etc. (They don't sell a gasket set for this). They have currently quoted me £104.17 and I'll have to check that all the bits are in the quote.

All,

Getting a bit worried about Saber Cycles now chaps. It's a bit far for me to throw something at him if the bits are no good.

Venco prices come out at $135.90. Plus shipping works out at around £95 which is getting close to Mr Silver.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Take my advice and STEER CLEAR OF SABRE CYCLES ,,you will end up with your own head wrecked and you cannnot buy a gasket for a human head ,,:waving::waving:,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

had good luck with sabre until recently when they said my credit card address was wrong, tried to get it straightened out but ended up getting some rude replies from sabre.... they out to treat a regular customer better

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

And you expect me with the wee dab of Irish blood I have in my veins to actually stay away from a challenge like that whenSaber is so close? LOLOL!!!!!!

Would you??????

LOLOL!!!! Sabre here I come!! I may not have been born on the Isle, but I was raised on boxty, rashers and sody bread just the same!

Light a candle for me, would you now?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hmmm.

Got a brief reply to my equiry. He told me the weight and gave me a link to a carrier so I could work out the postage................................

Price isn't always everything.

Not in a rush for this so I'm taking my time.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Try and get an OEM Honda gasket set. I've personally had aftermarket gasket sets that the rubber O rings were not quite the right size (usually too big) and they didn't fit properly.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Graham & ALL,

I have had a pleasant conversation with Sabre cycles by email....In fact I am scheduled to pass by there Friday as I am coming home from a meeting and they have let me know of a certain Mexican restaurant that we may even be having lunch at!

After reading some comments here by people I have quickly learned to respect and trust....well I was quite surprised at their cordiality.

If it would meet the approval of the group, I will tactfully raise some of the issues that have been brought up here and see if a resolution may be possible?

I am not at all kidding, the email reply I received was quite cordial and I would like to share it with all of you after I talk further with them. By what I see of their inventory, they have items that simply might not be found anywhere else. I would like to see them as a more trusted source.

Will keep everyone advised.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Ask them why they wont export to IRELAND .:whip::whip::whip:.and watch the guys face turn RED and run for the door ..leave your bike running for the fast getaway ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Will do gladly

I am close enough to offer to act as an export agent for anything needed in Ireland. Seriously, it would be no problem for me to run by there and pick up items for shipment if that would help anyone here.

I am picking up some items cash & carry as I beat the shipping cost that way and my travels are taking me right by there. They are amenable to that and I will discuss how I might help get items to Irish, or other, EU destinations.

Seriously my wife and I have toyed with import/export idea for some time, so this seems like a natural to me. No need to make a profit, just help friends and learn the ropes as they say.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Brojees,

Thanks for the offer. I'm still searching around so I don't want to tee anybody off.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Graham,

Understood and I will conduct myself accordingly Friday as I am talking with them.

Note: If you like, I could pick up the needed parts and trans ship them if you like, I assume you can pay your VAT, etc on delivery?

No hurry though, I am available to head back up there in the furture as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.