Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 Aspencade that has a drip that looks like it coming from the water pump weep hole. Are these fairly easy to change out or is it going to be a rough thing to do. I ammechanically inclined and know how to work on many different kinds of cars and trucks...been doing it for over 35years, butI am new to Goldwings and they seem pretty easy to work on. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Redeye,

I pulled the water pump in my 83 Aspencade last year. Mine was leaking a bit of oil from the weep hole so I just bought a seal kit from Honda for about $17.00 and replaced all the external seals.The pump itselfcan not be rebuilt and if it is worn out you will need a new one. I think they are around $120.00. The job wasn't that bad to do but I strongly advise you to get a manual if you don't have one since it gives all the torque specs and procedures for removal and installation.

All in all it's a simple but somewhat time consuming task. Give yourself a few hours topull it apart, a couple of hours to clean the surfaces and a couple to put it all back together again.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

The leak may be caused because the pump's bearing have gone and the seals are failing as a result.

If you're brave enough here are some instructions for rebuilding a water pump http://www.classicwingclub.org/gallery/finn/rebuild.htm

Personally, I'd just get a new one. Straightforward job but time consuming. As you need to take the radiator off, I'd also consider changing the cam belts while you're at it.

I'd also order a new set of bolts as the extra cost is minimal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.