Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all geting down to taking the motor out to replace it with a motor with 35.000 miles on it. was looking over the old1 to day if i turn the crank by hand and feel the water pump it does not move now iam thinking it been the pump all a long ?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Have you already got the old motor out Mark, or is this before you have tackled that?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

hi old motor is still in the bike but i took the rad and heads off and the ex pipes

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

What's the model and year?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you want help identifying whether the pump may be at fault, I think it is going to help the helpers by telling them symptoms and any resulting damage or what happened to lead you to think the engine needed changing?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hi sorry its a gl1100 been getting water in the oil and milkie looking oil out of both pipes lots of smoke and a rattle from the right hand side. that said it starts and runs ok . when looked in to the water pump if i trun the crank by hand thepump not turning.thanks mark

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

mark3 wrote:
hi sorry its a gl1100 been getting water in the oil and milkie looking oil out of both pipes lots of smoke and a rattle from the right hand side. that said it starts and runs ok . when looked in to the water pump if i trun the crank by hand thepump not turning.thanks mark
Kind of sounds like you need to go ahead and change out the engine. Usually when the water pump impeller doesn't turn it means the oil pump shaft is broken or became disconnected at the rear of the engine. The main oil pump is in the front of the engine and it drives the waterpump off the front of it. There is a shaft that runs to the rear of the engine that runs the oil pump....Could also be the shaft is messed up where it connects to the waterpump but it would still require the cases to be split I think....

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

retiredintime is on the right track. You might be able to fix her with head gaskets and a new water pump. LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Pull the front casing off and see if the slot on the water pump is gone/cracked split if it is then the pump won't turn and there's your problem; if it in tact try to turn the shaft that the slot fits on to if it turns then shaft is broken in the case someplace ..new engine or rebuild.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hi all thanks for the replys iam going to put the new motor in on thusday ive only got to remove the bolts now. i put anew water pump and seal kit in new head gaskets. heads were worked over some time back with new valves and seals and re faced . carbs are like new from classic parts. we will put in new cluch plates and springs re paint the motor and away to go i hope i will re port back in a week or so. thanks mark.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well got the new block in the frame to day old motor out new old one in all bolted up . tomorrow i will put the heads belts ect back on . hope to start her up over the week end. will report back soon mark.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

mark3 wrote:
well got the new block in the frame to day old motor out new old one in all bolted up . tomorrow i will put the heads belts ect back on . hope to start her up over the week end. will report back soon mark.
Keep at it Mark, I shall be watching for a successful result of your labours. :waving::clapper:

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks mate . i took most parts off a few days a go. my mate andy came over at 1 oclock we had the old block out and the new one in by 3.30 all bolted in.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

mark3 wrote:
dont forget to turn it over a few times by hand Mark after you get the heads and belts on. jb

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

well lads good news she up and running took her out for a ride to day only 10miles or so but its seems to be running good thanks for all the help mark.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear it Mark, let's hope you now have many miles trouble free ahead. :waving:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.