Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of something I can spay on my bike tires to make them a bit more rain / water resistant?

Just asking.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
i have never heard of such thing. probably does not exist that i am sure about.

your current tires may be already out-dated so check the date and if they are 5 years old you need to replace them. old tires usually get hard and are scary to ride on the wet. i highly recommend the dunlop elite 3 for the goldwing.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
i have never heard of such thing. probably does not exist that i am sure about.

your current tires may be already out-dated so check the date and if they are 5 years old you need to replace them. old tires usually get hard and are scary to ride on the wet. i highly recommend the dunlop elite 3 for the goldwing.
+1. I would be very wary about spraying anything on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
what do you mean by water resistant tires are sealed from the inside and if they loose air do not ride them ....

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I would be HYPER careful about getting ANYTHING on the tires.
armorall can kill you, minimally make you drop it
Even brand new tires, I'll wipe down vigorously with denatured alcohol

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I don't understand the question.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I must also admit a lack of understanding? Unless he means shiny stuff like used on car tires? If so, not a good idea on the bike.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Sounds like it's time to buy tires.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Does anyone know of something I can spay on my bike tires to make them a bit more rain / water resistant?

Do you mean mud resistant?

There are plenty of tire foams that do a good job of lifting mud off tires. But you don't want the shiny tire products, they will cause the tires to slip and slide. You can use those products on the sidewalls of car tires, but its too risky on MC tires. A bit of shiny stuff getting on the thread area could end in tragedy.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Just about every vinyl treatment I have ever bought, says "Do not use on motorcycle tires" in the instructions. Just washing them is about all I have ever done. Are they just ugly/dirty? Or are they getting cracks in em? Out in the desert, folks use tire covers on their motorhome tires to protect the rubber from the sun whilst they are parked, but I have never heard of a chemical treatment. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
I watched a guy in California purchase a brand-new CBR and heard the salesman tell him to take it easy the first 20 miles or so, because they put brake fluid on the sides of the tires to make them shiny. The new rider goosed it leaving the parking lot and (you guessed it) the back tire broke free and the bike went straight down--hard. Pieces of plastic went every where.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
I've been putting tire shine on my side walls on every bike I've ever owned and have never laid one down(knock on wood)and when i go in to a curve I'm almost horizontal

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
I've been putting tire shine on my side walls on every bike I've ever owned and have never laid one down....
I almost did, once. I used Armorall tyre shine on the sidewalls and thought I didn't get any on the threads. Took the Wing down the road (a minor downslope from my house) at the usual low speed to the first junction, braked. The Wing slid forward across the stop line and into the junction and in the path of oncoming traffic.
I will never put anything shiny on a bike tyre again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.