ready to use 50/50 blend
Hi-performance antifreeze/coolant
any thoughts
Misty

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

When your wing gets hot, try to put your hand on the center of the rad. it should be hot too. If it isnt, your rad might be plugged. Your water pump might not be pumping enough volume through your motor if the impellers are worn. Look closely at your fan, Some get wired backwards by previous owners which makes the fan run backwards. At what temp does your fan kick in?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Does your exhaust ever smell sweet? you might have an issue with a head gasket!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

The temp guage on the 1200 Interstates can make it look like the bike is getting pretty hot. As long as it doesn't reach the red you should be OK. The fan should come on when the needle reaches about 3/4 up the scale.

If you're right and the fan has been wired to run all the time, that's bad. Have a competent mechanic wire it correctly. It may burn out just when you need it most.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The fan should not be running all the time, it's idea is to cool the rad if the engine gets too hot, not to run under normal conditions.
Test the thermostatic switch for operation.
Replace if needed.
If the bike is running hot under normal conditions investigate why, otherwise you may end up with more problems.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

pretty_n_pink wrote:
this bike in nice weather gets hot when i am sitting at lights or traffic
the fan works
in theory the thermostat works when put in boiling water
i am using HP coolant
ready to use 50/50 blend
Hi-performance antifreeze/coolant
any thoughts
Misty

What your describing is pretty normal. Fan usually will only run around town when bike is idling/travelling slow. Once it starts moving the air will cool the rad.

As others have said as long as it doesn't go into red its OK. Sounds like yours is working OK.

Over this past winter I had my rad serviced (cleaned & pressure tested), replaced the thermostat (180 ) & put in a Honda Car thermo switch that switches on at 199 instead of the stock 208-212. Lots of work to change over thermo switch and its no cheaper. The above set up is pretty common in Honda Cars. ie: my 06 CRV uses this thermo switch. My objective was to try & lower the overall operating temperature of the engine. Time will tell if it worked. Also my thermo switch stopped working and had to be replaced.

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
imported post

Hatchetman mentioned your radiator might be clogged. I'll second that idea. Keep in mind when a radiator clogs it happens slowly over a long period of time. The radiator’s coils slowly become clogged with sediment. This happens to all radiators even when maintained properly. The option is to replace it or take it to a radiator shop to have it flow checked & cleaned out. The top is removed; a rod is push though each coil to remove the deposits and crud. Since this process happens over time, the overheating begins slowly too acting up on the hottest days first. In a car it usually appears on a hot day when the AC is turned on or driving up mountains (under load). The previous owner many have removed the thermostat to try to overcome this then hotwired the cooling fan. These are all temporary solutions that just buy a little time.
As old as your Wing is, it is probably time to have the radiator removed and serviced. If the hose are good, the thermostat has been changed, and the pump is pumping – it’s pointing to a clogged radiator. Nothing in a can will clean this out.
Call a radiator shop and get some price quotes. You should have the radiator removed and take it to them.

Wish you well

Ole Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.