Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

right here goes

last week i parked up at work as normal turned off and went to work. i finished in the afternoon went ride home and the bike just clicked as though the starter had packed in so i got a lift home and then got the bike recovered

when i met the AA man (road side assistance) he tested the starter systemand he diagnosed the starter

so taking his expertease he said lets try and bump start (push start) so up a hill pushed down no start.

so went for the recovery truck and brought it home

i spent two day striping and waiting for parts but did rebuild the starter motor which now works a treat.

while i was waiting for the parts i have been browsing the site and came across a threat about hydrolock and producing the same symptoms. (gulp)

so i have now re fitted the starter i took all the plugs out to eliminate a siezed engine and that the engine turned over it did

however pots one and six were wet, (gutted) i turned the engine and water shot from the spark plug holes like a hose all over the walls and me

my question is

have i ruined the engine trying to bump the engine or has the head gasket gone and that was the reason for the non start , by the way no over heating and no syptoms of the head gasket going.

OR is it possible that i have cracked the heads due over compressing the during the bump start

guys before i tear the engine apart any ideas

thanks

andy

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

yes i have ideas, did it rain while it was parked at work or any time while it wouldnt start, do you have any enemies, do you have a "friend" playing a trick?

put the plugs back in it and start it up, check the coolant level, well check the coolant level first then fire it up, see how it runs, dont be alarmewd when water comes out the exhaust because it will,

let us know what happens

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You could have bent a rod..forcing it to turn or not.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

It did rain hard the day it wouldn't start and it was unfotunaley undercover that leaked bad and the bike got really wet

The water was clear and I checked the coolant Was good so it could be rain but how does it get in the pots It's beyond me and only in opposite ends I'll try that and see what happens. Like I said I fitted the starter and it turned over. So hopefully no damage Gona check will let u all know

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I have just started the bike. Water out of the exhaust collector box but it ran idled ok so I have now turned off I will wait half hour and then check again fingers crossed

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

If it idled good then the engine isn't damaged. The worst you will be looking at now is a blown head gasket.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I guess I'm just assuming you had actual coolant in the cooling system, so if this was pure water, it was not coolant. That pretty much eliminates the head gasket, if it had been a head gasket it would be coolant and not water. But, that leaves a strange question. How did water get into the cylinders? The only possible ways are removing the spark plugs and pouring it in, pouring it in through the carbs, or sticking a water hose into the muffler. I actually know of that happening once. This kid was washing his dads dirt bike, and stuck the hose in the muffler. By the time his dad found out, the top end was rusted solid, and had to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I am now going to leave it over night to see if it leaks down again. I do ask is that is it usual that the both head gaskets go at the same time I am still inclined to think it is the heads But I have no coolant loss no over heating At this point I am baffled

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Its not your head gaskets it could be a crack in an inlet manafold they have water jackets in them to help atomise the gas, are you sure its not gas your petcock may not be shutting off and alowing the gas to siphon down the carbs if your sure its water check the air horn and seal are ok and not loose no7and 14 in the pic

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

water either got into the system from the air filter or the plugs were not tight

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you tried to push start her and she did not turned over that may have been a sign for the AA expert, if she turned over, probably damaging something but the water had to get out somehow and then you should have been able to turn it with the starter unless it was a coincidence. when you turned the engine was it by hand or with the starter, i'd just put the plugs back in and see if she fires up. if something is broken you will definitely hear it. if so your up for a new engine.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Chears guys.

Engine is not damaged. (thank the heavens). The air filter sounds a good theory as when I put the bike into the shelter because the bad rain and I mean bad but no worse than previouse times. I don't usually leave it in the shed but the forecaster said monsoon rain. Anyway the shelter roof collected water and released a constant torrent on the cockpit of the bike. I remember thinking that it was very wet considering it was under cover
Tomorrow I will check and begin the awesome task of the rebuild :-(

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

rebuild what? the shed?

if its running good then you know you either had loose plugs or a problem with water getting through the intake system ie. air filter or some other leak, i would be investigating that possibility but i wouldnt mess with that engine

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I had a similar experience with my 80 suzuki that was interesting. I went out to go for a ride and it wouldn't start. There was a decent size puddle under the bike but no rain. then I checked the fuel gauge and... no fuel. It turns out that one of my kids was playing with the bike. the fuel lever had 3 positions (normal/reserve/flood). well my kids were playing on it and turned it to the wrong setting. they shouldn't have been touching it to begin with, but hey, you live you learn. Any ways, the entire tank of fuel dumped into the 4 cylinders and spilled over onto the ground. Apparently it had just finished because there was more fuel in the engine than there was air. I let it sit for a little bit, put some more fuel into it (with the lever in the right place) and it started up. Well, to make a long story even longer. I wouldn't worry about the bike so much as that shed that's obviously trying to kill your bike. I'm almost positive that it's not a head gasket issue and probably more of a air filter box issue. If you have any amount of coolant in the cooling system and it overheats or the coolant leaks into the combustion chambers, one of the first things that you will notice is the exhaust being different visually as well as it would smell sweet. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I have pulled the bike to bits. So that's what have to rebuild I am not rebuilding the shed it's not mine and the bike fairs better sat in the rain Let the fairings do it's job to protect the engine Oh well you live and learn.

Once again everyone your help is second to none

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Update. Started the bike this morning no water just fuel etc well chufed about the result And have learnt something more about my wing

Thanks all

Andy

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Update on the dilemma I have had

After getting all the water out I forgot that the water would most likley get into the oil. Onchecking the oil (it was due) the oil came out like coffee. Which was to be expected. The problem I had was how to get the gunk of the water and oil out and not have it contaminate the new oil.
At this point I refused to put my good oil in untill the inside of the engine was clean

So I went down to the supermarket (wal mart) and got 8 liters ( 2 gallons or so I think). And filled ran for ten min then emptied then put some engine flush in for ten with some fresh oil( spent 10 min on my knees with a hand on the kill switch listening to the engine just in case the flushing agent started to cause damage it did not.). I then drained and left for an hour and then re filled with my expensive oil and brand new filter and took the bike for a run came back and checked the oil and found no trace of the water I am going to leave this in the bike for a few hundred miles and change all oil and filter again That's my plan Do you think I am over killing the oil change

Thanks all

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

Wow .... glad you got the water deal sorted out.

Water and oil will seperate with time, and the oil goes to top. Let set overnight, pull drain plug next am and drain the water, stop when only oil coming out. Top off oil.
If no water comes out then no water got in oil.

If you foundwater the first time,then dothis a second time after "a start and shut off and let set again". Then just change the oil and filter once.

Then just ride.

If you warm the engine up and then pull the plug, that's when you get a water/oil mix if there is water in there, and it'll look milky because even hot, they are trying to seperate.

There is no need to run flushes through the oil system, clean oil is what she craves. After what you've done, there is NO need to do another change in a few hundred miles .... just ride. She is OK.

:readit:

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

Probably overkill but if it makes you feel better about the bike it is money well spent.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

oil change, 50.00
engine for a 1500, 1,000.00

you do the math, i wouldnt worry too much about the cost of the oil and filters

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.