Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have an 84 GL1200 I, I've seen treads that say when washing your bike to keep the water away from the general electrical areas of the bike.
How waterproof are these bikes?
The reason I'm asking is I'm going on trip this weekend and it looks like we may be in for some rain. I've had this bike for 2 years and it's never been rained on.
I'm not sure what to expect!
Obviously I'll pull over if the weather gets to bad, but will driving it in a normal rain hurt the bike?

All comments are appreciated!

Ride Safe,
Goodoni

·
Registered
19 Posts
I rode my 87 1200 in the rain for 5 straight hours (not so fun) and the only issue I had was my aftermarket car stereo started flaking out on me (it's a car head unit not a marine or bike unit so not really meant for wet conditions)...as soon as the faceplate dried up though it ran like normal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Pull your spark plug wires up and out of the way. You'll notice there is a small hole next to each spark plug. These are drains. Use a coat hanger or something stiff and narrow to ensure the drains are open (they drip onto the exhaust headpipe flange).
Reinstall and pack your rain gear.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull your spark plug wires up and out of the way. You'll notice there is a small hole next to each spark plug. These are drains. Use a coat hanger or something stiff and narrow to ensure the drains are open (they drip onto the exhaust headpipe flange).
Reinstall and pack your rain gear.
glhonda,

Thanks for the tip, i'll check them tonight.

Goodoni

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode my 87 1200 in the rain for 5 straight hours (not so fun) and the only issue I had was my aftermarket car stereo started flaking out on me (it's a car head unit not a marine or bike unit so not really meant for wet conditions)...as soon as the faceplate dried up though it ran like normal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
noodlestsc,

Thanks for the input, I hope i do not have to ride 5 hours in the rain.

Goodoni

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
I have rode in the rain on my 86 1200 for hours also (we didn't like it but we did it) it is hard to see but the only problem I had was the first time it hapend i didn't have my new frogg toggs and the wife and I was drenched (basic old rain gear) The last time it happend (two nights ago) we stopped and put the frogg toggs on and we stayed compleetly dry.

As for the GL1200 (wing), I don't think she even knew it was raining. ;)

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Same to report here. Quite a few hours riding in the rain over the years. I found that if you keep it around 60 and lean forward, your face will stay fairly dry. Rain gear on the rest of me, of course! And the bike? All it did was wash the bugs off. Just make sure the drain holes at the spark plugs are clear and you'll be fine. Or at least your bike will.

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
284 Posts
I have an 80 GL1100 and it has been through the car wash, rain, and stuff for 14 years after I got it. No problems. I did take it all apart a few years back and packed ALL the electrical connectors with special waterproof electrical grease and prevented some problems that way. The 1500 is loaded with electronics and it also gets a bath with my pressure washer. All my vehicles get the engine compartment cleaned that way at least once a year with no problems in 40+ years of owning cars and bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Like others say, check drains under plug wires and understand that when applying brakes, they will not usually grab as quick or as hard as they shed water. Be careful, allow extra distances, slower in turns, look for oily sheens, stay off white or yellow lines as much as possible, and I do refrain from spraying high pressure water jets at my electrics / radio controls.

Otherwise, she has been in downpours both sitting still and ridden with no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To All, Thanks,
I have rain gear and the drain holes are clear.
I feel much better now.

Thanks again, Ride Safe.
Goodoni

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I had an 1986 and I rode in the rain long distances several times. The only issue I experienced was that water got into the ignition switch and caused the bike to cut out later on. (Not while riding at high speed!) So if there is way to protect the switch from rain, I'd do it. The fix was simple. Sprayed contact cleaner in it to displace the moisture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.