Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Will a thermostat off of a 1980 Parts Bike fit on a 1983 Aspencade? I put the waterpump in it off the parts bike, and it has a very small leak comiing from the Weep Hole. Also, are you supposed to be able to blow air through the weephole on a refurbished water pump through the weephole? I can.
As for the Cooling system, I am going to replace all of it off of my parts bike, including the radiator, because it is in much better shape. I hope to be able to get pics when I change out the water pump and post them. Remember, the Netural Switch on an 80 and 81 is in the right front of the engine. On an 83, it is in the water punp housing.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The thermostats are the same, will be no problem. (you can get a new Stant thermostat cheap at NAPA)I would be concerned about blowing out one of the o-rings if you are blasting compressed air in the weep hole. Neutral switch should be in the same place on all 1100 engines.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The bad news is that your used pump is most likely leaking. If you see any coolant or oil at the weep hole it's most likely to be a problem with the o-ring(s) that go around the pump body or the main seal in the pump which requires a new pump. I don't think you could blow the o-rings out of position with compressed air unless you got a very tight connection between the air hose and the weep hole. If you're still seeing coolant after blowing the weep hole dry I think you're going to need a new pump.
I had the same luck with an 1100 I had in the shop a couple years ago. I replaced the coolant pump with what I thought was a good one I had in the shop. Turned out it wasn't so I had to do the job again. In my opinion a used pump is no good for anything but a paperweight, it takes too much time and effort including ruined gaskets to do the job twice. Go with a new pump and get it over with.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i agree if it's leaking from the weep hole the water pump is bad.:(

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks Everyone.
I do know the thermostat is stuck, because I do not get any flow never. I can seeflow I can on my 80.The 83only weeps after some pressure buildup. Could it be the Padiator cap? Anyways, I'm gonna shange it all out.At least now though, I am not getting any coolant in my oil.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

P.S.

I wasn't blowing compressed air, just from mouth after cleaned.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
The thermostats are the same, will be no problem. (you can get a new Stant thermostat cheap at NAPA)I would be concerned about blowing out one of the o-rings if you are blasting compressed air in the weep hole. Neutral switch should be in the same place on all 1100 engines.
Jackjohn,

Do you know the part number? What is the High End Pressure maxed out at? (Like 192 degrees on an OEM themostat)

Thanks,

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry Nightrider, I can't find the number for the Stant t-stat, the number for the NAPA brand is 101, it is a direct replacement so opening temp should be the same as the OEM. The radiator cap pressure relief (Honda Manual) is 10.7 to 14.9 psi. The Stant replacement for the capis number 45868. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

One More thing,
I never blew compressed air through any off the water pumps. I jist blew theough them after cleaning. It was difficult to do.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

jackjohn.
Thanks for the information. I am going to need both of these, and I had a used thermostat off of my old parts bike, but I am going ahead and get a new one, with the Gasket, and the Radiator Cap. Its worth its weight in gold. I have the old radiator off of my 80 GL1100 parts bike (because it jut looks much better) to the Radiator shop, and have it cleaned and pressure tested, and rotted out. Question is, will the radiator off of an 80 GL1100 fit/work on an 83 Aspy?
Thanks,
NightRider1

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

They are interchangeable..but to check just hold them back to back with the fan off, the mounting holes shoudl line up.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks RB!
I appreciate the input. Will do.
Nightrider1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.