Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For the first time in my lifeI logged onto e-Bay. Low and behold is this beautiful silver 2004 Goldwing with 2,000 plus miles on it. Of course, I had to send an e-mail out on this, and here is the response. Pay attention to the $5,400.00 price tag. If this is not a scam, I am going to kick my butt around the block until the snow's gone.

The response to my e-mail:

Hello there,

I am glad that you are interested in my bike. First of all I have to tell
you that I am located in Torino / Italy and I'll ship my bike from here and
I'll cover the fees for the ship and insurance to your home address. The
bike is in a perfect condition. Never been dropped or damaged.
This was my brother bike but he is not.anymore.
I don't want to get rich by its selling, just want to give it to someone who
will take good care. Because of my job I am traveling a lot and I can not
stay home and expect to meet potential client. I'll also cover the fees for
the ship and inssurance to your home address.
The final price is 5400 USD.
For payment, I´ll like to use an eBay service,so we´ll be both protected.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Best Regards,

Ain't he a generous bloke!!!

Kyle

OOOhhhh.....to be a victim of opportunity!!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

I just read an article on this sort of thing in Wing World magazine (Dec 2004).

The guy asks the money to be sent by Western Union. A quote from a Western Union employee "99% of wire transfers to Europe by a non-relative involve fraud". Funny thing is, in the article the 2003 GL1800 was in Italy and he would cover shipping costs as well.

Too bad we can't find the F'n A$$hole and beat the crap out of him. I'm sure somebody is going to get ripped off.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Like I said, I'm a full blown rookie on this e-bay stuff. I've just spent the last 2 hours drooling over 2002 to 2005 bikes with incredible prices. It's like a dog looking at his reflection with a bone in its mouth. I am in the market for a newer wing but everything in this part of the world is priced insane. Last spring looking at a 2004 at a local dealer, the price for a base no frills unit was $26,000.00 then add on 14% for the Feds and the Province = $29,640.00 and another $3,000.00 to licence and insure the damn thing. Looking State side is enticing since our buck is doing pretty good, but I'm scared to death to push that bid button!!!

Kyle

My hair is turning white, my neck has always been red, and my collar still blue!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

I called all the Honda dealers here in BC and a few in Albertato try and get the best dealI could. There are great deals on the Flare Red 2004 Wings. Seems there are quite a few of them still around and Honda Canada gave the dealers incentives to get rid of them. I found half a dozen 2004 Flare Red Wings for $22,000 not including taxes and if you find other colours they will sell them for $23,500. I drooled too until I talked myself right into buying one.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Ebay Wing it sounds exactly like the scam in the Magazine.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

If it looks like a Duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a Duck. it's probably a "DUCK" !!!!!

And this looks, quacks and walks like a "SCAM" !!

Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole !!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

About 3 months ago I enquired about a 2002 1800. Lovely pictures of a bright yellow wing. This was only $4500 including shipping from Germany. Interesting thing is I have a friend who is a steward for an airline who would have been happy to complete the deal for me in person. Only thing is that once I started talking about meeting to pay and take delivery of the bike the interest in the deal on their part mysteriously disappeared. (a bit like redwing swapping his 1800 for my 1200)

The saying goes "if it is too good to be true it usually is!!"

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ya gotta know there's something wrong with such low price deals! If someone gets scammed on a deal like thatthey almost deserve it.

:whip::whip:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Gotta love this line:

This was my brother bike but he is not. anymore.

So many possibilities..... It's a scam, of course, but if people are stupid enough to fall for it, then go ahead, be my guest. It amazes me people even question if it's a scam or not.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
For the first time in my lifeI logged onto e-Bay. Low and behold is this beautiful silver 2004 Goldwing with 2,000 plus miles on it. Of course, I had to send an e-mail out on this, and here is the response. Pay attention to the $5,400.00 price tag. If this is not a scam, I am going to kick my butt around the block until the snow's gone.

The response to my e-mail:

Hello there,

I am glad that you are interested in my bike. First of all I have to tell
you that I am located in Torino / Italy and I'll ship my bike from here and
I'll cover the fees for the ship and insurance to your home address. The
bike is in a perfect condition. Never been dropped or damaged.
This was my brother bike but he is not.anymore.
I don't want to get rich by its selling, just want to give it to someone who
will take good care. Because of my job I am traveling a lot and I can not
stay home and expect to meet potential client. I'll also cover the fees for
the ship and inssurance to your home address.
The final price is 5400 USD.
For payment, I´ll like to use an eBay service,so we´ll be both protected.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Best Regards,

Ain't he a generous bloke!!!

Kyle

OOOhhhh.....to be a victim of opportunity!!
Hi Kyle

See if you can an address out of him, tell him a friend who lives in Italy want to inspect it for you. The reply if any should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I for one have no sympathy for anybody who gets caught in one of these scams ,,if you are interested in buying a GOLDWING ,,then you also know the value of one ,,and it is just pure greed that makes them think they can get a bargain like this ,

Greed can blind a lot of peoples judgement ,not stupidity:waving:Ciaran

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Advise the broker (Western Union or whomever) that someone is using them to commit fraud. They might be able to coordinate with law enforcement to catch this idiot. The scammer shows up to collect the "money" that the broker has and the police are waiting.

I received the Nigerian 411 scam a few months ago and decided to feel the crook out. he was there alright, I confirmed it through the US Embassy at Ivory Coast, which is a center for fraud and money laundering. He showed up at the Embassy office looking for a letter I sent, which hadnt been received, and he knew it.

Crooks are usually stupid somewhere, just have to out think them...

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
(a bit like redwing swapping his 1800 for my 1200)
Hey Andrew1 :waving:

Dont get me involved in this scam. :whip: I dont have an :18red:to swap. :crying:

It's my neighbour who owns the :18red:and he is still looking for a crate to get her packed for you. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Ya gotta know there's something wrong with such low price deals! If someone gets scammed on a deal like thatthey almost deserve it.
Hey exavid :waving:

You just hit the nail on the head. :whip: Any person (Fool)who jumps at this deserves the kicking not the crook. :whip: Greed is a terrible handicap. :crying:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

I'll never get caught out by theses e bay scams, I shop a lot on e bay with no bad deals. In fact I have just taken delivery of the latest, not yet on the market computer called a BBC, the first part got delivered to day, the second part comes tomorrow but requires a larger van. I have been told by the seller that is very fast, complete with 8 mb of ram, he has even given me 10 yrs warranty, all for the cash price of £1000.

So just be careful out there, check every thing out like me before you hand over you cash.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
I'll never get caught out by theses e bay scams, I shop a lot on e bay with no bad deals. In fact I have just taken delivery of the latest, not yet on the market computer called a BBC, the first part got delivered to day, the second part comes tomorrow but requires a larger van. I have been told by the seller that is very fast, complete with 8 mb of ram, he has even given me 10 yrs warranty, all for the cash price of £1000.

So just be careful out there, check every thing out like me before you hand over you cash.
Lucky dog, I'll bet you got the latest version of CP/M operating system too! Or did you get stuck with TRS-DOS?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Andrewl wrote:
(a bit like redwing swapping his 1800 for my 1200)
Hey Andrew1 :waving:

Dont get me involved in this scam. :whip: I dont have an :18red:to swap. :crying:

It's my neighbour who owns the :18red:and he is still looking for a crate to get her packed for you. :stumped:

Hey REDWING ,,if you need a crate all you got to do is post "crate wanted" on the forum and we will find one for you somewhere ,:baffled:,,wont we lads ? you know how helpful we are here ,,Ciaran

A

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Lucky dog, I'll bet you got the latest version of CP/M operating system too! Or did you get stuck with TRS-DOS?

Hi exavid

TRS- Dos was for the model 1, Ive got the model 2.

It even comes with an external floppy disc drive, impressed or what!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

:shock:You could get arrested for bragging about your 'external floppy' here

Cheers

Royce:waving:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.