Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I see a lot of references to the use of WD-40.

I spent a few years selling industrial lubricants and penetrants (seems like 100 years ago) becoming quite familiar with the competition in the process. The basic ingredients of Wd-40 are kerosene and propane (or butane if it was cheaper that week). The flash point is -6 celcius making it a bomb looking for an ignition source. I won'tallow it in my house let alone a workshop.

Look for products with compressed air or carbon dioxide propellents.

LPS Laboritories manufacture the best I have come across and I beleive they are available worldwide.

http://www.lpslabs.com/

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

WD40 is very inflammable. I often see guys putting a light to the stuff as they spray it, making a flamethrower!

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

I guess the kerosene helps to give it that great cleaning ability. It's really good on removing road tar. Dangerous... We ride motorcycles, whats a little bomb or flame-thrower in your saddle-bag/pannier going to hurt ????:shock:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Be carefull to remove any Wd-40 residue. When it evaporates it leaves behind parafin. This can build up over time and start gumming things up.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

mjpliv....You're scaring me! Next thing you'll be telling me is that ducktape causes cancer! As Canadians, how will we ever survive without wd-40 and Ducktape?

What will ever become of Red Green.....:shock:.......AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!:jumper:

Kyle

My hair is turning white, my neck has always been red, and my collar's still blue

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Man I couldn't get anything done without WD-40. Stands for 'Water Displacer' test #40. Used a bit of it today changing the exhaust system on my truck. Put some on rusted clamp bolts and in pipe joints to take it apart. Used some to remove labels on pipe ends, used some on pipe ends to help slip together, really helped with those 3 1/2" pipes.

I've used the LPS products too, but just like WD40, LPS equivalent smells too sweet.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Kyle wrote:
mjpliv....You're scaring me! Next thing you'll be telling me is that ducktape causes cancer!

I can't help myself! While in the industry I saw some of the scary stuff people mix together and package up for sale. Wd-40 is one of the tame ones. It always amazes me that, for the most part, we devote so much time on researching parts and products we use in our bikes but not much time reading the lables of the stuff that can potentially harm ourselves.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
mjpliv....You're scaring me! Next thing you'll be telling me is that ducktape causes cancer! As Canadians, how will we ever survive without wd-40 and Ducktape?

What will ever become of Red Green.....:shock:.......AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!:jumper:
Have you ever noticed on the home improvements shows they always tell you that duct tape is no good for taping ducts????? Makes you wonder what tooth paste is really for:baffled::baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Obviously it's for fixing broken teeth! :action:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Obviously it's for fixing broken teeth! :action:

THAT'S A GOOD ONE......:clapper:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Simple Green is an excellant cleaner. I keep a gallon in the house and one in the garage. Cleans almost everything. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a cleaner.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I like Greased Lightning for degreasing and cleaning parts when I want a water based cleaner. Used to swear by 409, but this stuff is better. Of course there's always gasoline, diesel, xylene, acetone, and MEK when you need a little more kick. With all that stuff in the cupboard in my shop, I don't worry about WD40 blowing up.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
WD40 is very inflammable. I often see guys putting a light to the stuff as they spray it, making a flamethrower!
Blimey Alan, you hang out with some interesting company!!:goofygrin:

I think it is good that someone highlights the potential dangers of stuff we take for granted. On Thursday, I am going to the funeral of my best, lifelong friend. Despite being the most conciensious guy I have ever met, he died when he made a fatal error filling his landrover with 1 gallon of petrol. It appears that he ingested burning fuel and this is an instant death certificate. This happened to a man who would put on latex gloves to prevent stuff soaking into his skin!

I for one thank you for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
Blimey Alan, you hang out with some interesting company!!:goofygrin:

I think it is good that someone highlights the potential dangers of stuff we take for granted. On Thursday, I am going to the funeral of my best, lifelong friend. Despite being the most conciensious guy I have ever met, he died when he made a fatal error filling his landrover with 1 gallon of petrol. It appears that he ingested burning fuel and this is an instant death certificate. This happened to a man who would put on latex gloves to prevent stuff soaking into his skin!

Gee, Silverfox, that is just awful. How did the fuel get ignited in the first place?

My condolences.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

For good cleaning, try Castrol Super Clean. Does wonders. It is strong stuff!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:

Gee, Silverfox, that is just awful. How did the fuel get ignited in the first place?

My condolences.
I haven't heard yet, there was an inquest, but I haven't been inclined to ask any of the family too many details yet. He was one year younger than me and we spent our childhoods in each others pockets, he gave me sancuary when I split with my wife and we enjoyed some good times together. He suffered from ME for years and I am assuming it was a lack of concentration and maybe a cigarrette and a lighter thing. As I said he was Mr Carefull when it came to safety, so it just shows, it is all too easy for things to go pear shaped.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Sorry for your loss Pete,

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that Pete... my condolences.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.