Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it pertains to bikes so I put this post in here.
A little while back I have come across some comments how to unstuck sticky buttons.
A few guys would say to NEVER use WD 40 on them as it fixes the problem temporarily and becomes tar like.
I didnt think much of it as I use the product in many applications to free and lubricate parts.

Im in the process of doing tile work in one of the house Im building. I use a wet saw. Evey day I start working the saw guiding rod sticks like nuts. I liberarly spray it with WD 40 and it is good for half a day.Then I repeat the process.

After I've read the article I paid attention to what happens to the sliding rod. A sticky ,dark residue forms on it (not unlike tar) It becomes very hard to slide the saw.

I took a rag and cleaned it till was shinny. It started to slide very easily .
No more WD40 for me on this tool and I have to reconsider on other usage. I thought it was purely light oil but it looks like has some other ingredients which negatively impacts its usefulness.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
Peter,
give this stuff a try, I'm betting that it will work much better for you, and it is relatively cheap.
Best of all, it never gets gummy.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
If you read the ingredients, it probably is WD-40.
The instructions say to wait 4 to 6 hours before using any switches you apply it to.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
If you read the ingredients, it probably is WD-40.
The instructions say to wait 4 to 6 hours before using any switches you apply it to.
No, Dennis,
it is NOT WD-40 or even close to it.

I have used CRC products for decades, and they swim circles around WD-40 for performance and doing the job..... WD-40 was designed to eliminate water from distributor caps way back in the 30's and for that job, it is great.

I use it on my Zero Turn Mower before each mowing, because of the problem with water from the grass getting up on the controls.... it is useful for almost one mowing and that is all...

as a lubricant or cleaner, it is dismal at best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts